ROA Conversion question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

BearBio

Buckeye
The day after Christmas, we ran into a good (great?) deal on a really pristine Ruger Old Army. Being a fan of the 45 Colt, I immediately sent off for a Kirst Converter cylinder. I know I have to keep pressures down (I likely will load BP cartridges for it). I do have a question though:

I saw that I can get a Belt Mountain base pin for it. Also, a knurled pin. Do I need both? What is the difference between Old Army - for conversion cylinders $29.95 plus $2 postage, and the Old Army Quick-Change Cylinder Conversion and do I need BOTH the base pin AND the latch assembly? As I read it, I need BOTH a base pin and latch system=I simply can order either base pin. Is that right?

smorin2

Single-Sixer
Hi BearBio,i too have a ROA, i purchased the Belt Mountain base pin and knurled latch assembly. You can use the base pin alone i think but you will have to use a screwdriver to turn the latch screw every time you want to remove and again to replace the cylinder for reloading. The knurled latch assembly is spring loaded and does away with using the screw to hold the base pin, rather it holds the base pin under spring tension through a relief cut in the underside of the base pin. It works great and does not fall out under recoil.The loading lever assembly is removed (and not needed) from the gun for this. A plus to this is that the latch assembly doesn't get damaged if you forgot to turn that screw and bend that base pin.I use a loading stand from Big Lube for my ROA. I hope that this helps,Steve

smorin2

Single-Sixer
You're welcome,if i can be of further help please feel free to PM me. The ROA is alot of fun.

k22fan

Blackhawk
Always suspicious you might come trespassing in their forest, the bears, who read your posts to pass the winter in their dens, have to know: stainless or blued?

BearBio

Buckeye
Blued of course. I am somewhat of a traditionalist when it comes to BP. I do have an in-line Knight but have only hunted with my Hawken. And I live on the "dry side" of the mountain.

Nanchulla

Bearcat
Definitely get the knurled Latch Assembly. It is one of the slickest things that I 've ever seen. I got the Belt Mountain Knurled Base Piñ with the knurled Latch Assembly. I also bought two Kirst Cylinders and one Firing Pin Assembly. I have two cylinder pouches, and .45 loops on my Old Army Gun Belt. I have one cylinder loaded with .45 Long Colt in the frame. I have one Kirst Cylinder loaded with .45 Long Colt in my belt pouch. Then in the second pouch I have my Old Army Percussion Cylinder loaded up with Pyrodex and Round Ball. There Ya' Be! I have 18 shots coming down the pipe with no tools to change cylinders, and the Belt Mountain Base Piñ and Latch Assembly works to install and hold my Percussion Cylinder in place too. A Civil War soldier's dream sidearm!

BearBio

Buckeye
Nanchulla said:
Definitely get the knurled Latch Assembly. It is one of the slickest things that I 've ever seen. I got the Belt Mountain Knurled Base Piñ with the knurled Latch Assembly. I also bought two Kirst Cylinders and one Firing Pin Assembly. I have two cylinder pouches, and .45 loops on my Old Army Gun Belt. I have one cylinder loaded with .45 Long Colt in the frame. I have one Kirst Cylinder loaded with .45 Long Colt in my belt pouch. Then in the second pouch I have my Old Army Percussion Cylinder loaded up with Pyrodex and Round Ball. There Ya' Be! I have 18 shots coming down the pipe with no tools to change cylinders, and the Belt Mountain Base Piñ and Latch Assembly works to install and hold my Percussion Cylinder in place too. A Civil War soldier's dream sidearm!

Trouble is that I have been waiting a month for Belt Mountain to ship it and it was listed "in stock"! After 2 weeks, I checked: I had to wait for it to be blued (estimate: 2 more weeks). Still not here.

Take home: Belt Mountain C/S sucks canal water!

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Kelye (Belt Mt) is a good guy that I've done quite a bit of business with, give him a chance and you'll get a superior product in the end.

Base Pin Maker

Single-Sixer
"Canal Water" here, parts are out for bluing, and the fellows who do the bluing wait until they have a worthwhile batch to do. Greg, if you want to cancel your order, tell me. I have your check right here. Kelye @ Belt Mtn

BearBio

Buckeye
ChiefTJS said:
Kelye (Belt Mt) is a good guy that I've done quite a bit of business with, give him a chance and you'll get a superior product in the end.

I see you are a Brother, so I will take your word for it and wait some more. From one Mason to another.

smorin2

Single-Sixer
I've found Belt Mountain's customer service to be very good myself. When i ordered my ROA latch assembly i emailed Kelye with a couple questions and received a prompt response.

BearBio

Buckeye
Has anybody heard anything more? My E-mails are blocked and other people on other forums (i.e. the SASS Forum) are also reporting problems. The Sixgun Forum has a report that they went belly up but it is an old post. I'm willing to wait if somebody will just tell me something!

ChiefTJS

Blackhawk
Kelye (Base Pin Maker) The owner of Belt Mountain responded to you on January 29th. I'd pick up the phone and give him a call.

BearBio

Buckeye
Base Pin Maker said:
Thanks Tim, I thought I was talking to myself. Greg, e-mail sent and not responded to by you. Kelye @ Belt Mtn

"Kelye (Base Pin Maker) The owner of Belt Mountain responded to you on January 29th. I'd pick up the phone and give him a call."

I responded on the 31st. My E-mail was "refused"

See my posting of 1/30/2015 (here), as well as my posting yesterday. My E-mail response was blocked by you ( or your server) as "refused".

Other people (at SASS) are asking the same questions:
1. Are you still in business?
2. Will we get the parts we have ordered?
3. Any idea when?

Simple...asked but not answered!

Base Pin Maker

Single-Sixer
I don't know what to tell you regarding the e-mail. I say again, when parts are returned from bluing, your order will be sent out. I don't cash checks or charge credit cards until the order is ready to ship, which seems confusing to some folk. Your check is right here next to me, say the word and your payment will be returned. Kelye @ Belt Mtn