Blackhawk sized .44 Mag?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
I picked up a nice New Model Super Blackhawk Yesterday because it has a fluted cylinder, 5 1/2 inch barrel and Blackhawk sized frame. I've never seen this combination before in .44 Mag, and now I'm trying to get educated. The serial number puts it in the 99-2000 range. Please shed some light on this addition to the collection. Thanks in advance.

contender

Ruger Guru
Since Ruger changed the frame size in the early sixties to where all Blackhawks & Super Blackhawks had the same mainframe, they all have been that size. The grip frame has been different on the Super vs the Blackhawk. Then in recent years, Ruger came out with a 44 mag in the shorter barrels, and put a regular Blackhawk sized grip frame under them.
My info on the New Models isn't as good w/o looking things up. But, I think your serial number may be 89-20000????

Greg Mercurio

Single-Sixer
Correct on the serial number 89-211xx. Grip frame has the rounded trigger guard as well. I didn't think this was anything special, but it looked and feels like a handy plinker and a lot lighter than the other SBH's I have. :D

Thanks for the help.

y2k-fxst

Single-Sixer
Greg Mercurio said:
Correct on the serial number 89-211xx. Grip frame has the rounded trigger guard as well. I didn't think this was anything special, but it looked and feels like a handy plinker and a lot lighter than the other SBH's I have. :D

Thanks for the help.
With the rounded trigger guard it sounds like a Super Blackhawk Bisley. In addition to the rounded trigger guard the grips should be a little longer than a standard Blackhawk. I just checked mine the frame itself is not marked Bisley just has it roll engraved on the cylinder.

street

Hunter
contender said:
Since Ruger changed the frame size in the early sixties to where all Blackhawks & Super Blackhawks had the same mainframe, they all have been that size. The grip frame has been different on the Super vs the Blackhawk. Then in recent years, Ruger came out with a 44 mag in the shorter barrels, and put a regular Blackhawk sized grip frame under them.
My info on the New Models isn't as good w/o looking things up. But, I think your serial number may be 89-20000????
The date that Ruger changed the size of the Blackhawk to the same size of the Super Blackhawk was 1973, not the early 60s. They changed the size when the New Model came out. Of course the Ruger .44 Flattops 1955 to 1962, had the large frame like the Super Blackhawks, minus the raised ramp rear sight.

Rclark

Hunter
ALL Ruger SA .44 Magnum revolvers Old Model or New Model or Vaquero are all on the large BH frame (SBH is same frame). Flatops or otherwise.... Grip frames of course are interchangable. As far as I know only the .357 was the only medium frame up until the New Model was introduced when even it went to the large BH frame.

contender

Ruger Guru
street is correct. I was thinking of the "transition guns" of 1962-1963, and how they did change the frame a bit & all. The main frame was made a "standard" size in 1973 when the NM's came out.
I get ahead of my self in thinking sometimes as my mind is usually set in the Old Models so much. My apologies.

hutchman

Blackhawk
y2k-fxst said:
With the rounded trigger guard it sounds like a Super Blackhawk Bisley. In addition to the rounded trigger guard the grips should be a little longer than a standard Blackhawk. I just checked mine the frame itself is not marked Bisley just has it roll engraved on the cylinder.

This is wrong. 5 1/2" Supers have a steel XR3-RED grip frame with a round trigger guard and a fluted cylinder. It's not a Bisley....

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Greg Mercurio said:
It is most assuredly not a Bisley. My wife has one in .44 Mag and loves it. :p

Your 5 1/2" SBH came out about 20 years ago and is all steel including grip frame and ejec housing. It was nicknamed the "Gunfighter" and had the only SBH fluted cyl. It's same size grip frame on the standard Blackhawks is alum alloy. That's one thing that makes your gun balance so well.

When I want the maximum knuckle space with the SBH large grip size and round trigger guard, I use the SBH Hunter.

When I reproduce Cary's sketch below, and do the measurements the Bisley grip is .177" (almost 3/16") closer to the trigger guard than the standard XR3-RED size grip frames (aluminum and steel), SBH Dragoon & Hunter. Because the larger Bisley trigger guard is also closer to the grip frame, giving the Bisley the absolute least space of any Ruger grip frame. Even closer than the old 'knuckle busting' XR3 size plow handle grip frame! The XR3-RED size and the SBH plow handle grip frames have the same distance behind the trigger guard, and the most of any Ruger grip frames with the benefit of less chance of rapping the knuckle under recoil.

F-Bisley-Dim1_zps24017a1b.jpg

Here's a link to a good illustration of the increased difference (~3/16") in horizontal finger distance behind the trigger guard on the Hunter (and standard XR3-RED size Gripframe), compared to the Bisley grip with less space. The Hunter and Bisley GFs I've measured are actually identical in vertical forestrap length space for fingers to the butt as the Bisley. The Bisley is longer on the backstrap which I think is why some prefer it

Readily apparent here:
http://www.dustinlinebaugh.com/gallery_009.htm

edlmann

Blackhawk
y2k-fxst said:

Nope. They're the same size as the standard Blackhawks:

0810.jpg

Spec sheet here.