LCRx with 3-inch Barrel

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Black Dog

Bearcat
Here is the response I received from Ruger to my email asking whether the longer Hogue Tamer grip on the 3 inch LCRx would fit the peg on my 1 7/8 in Ruger LCR .38 special +P and if so, whether I could obtain one of the new grips from Ruger: "The new longer LCR grip will fit on any LCR. They are not available at this time , please keep checking shopruger.com for availability. Thank you for your email." Black Dog

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Sure is a cute gun, light also but I'm not quite ready to trade in my 3" SP or buy this one quite yet. I bet it might be really nice for the ladies, thinking more control.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
Will have to handle one in person before I commit, but I can totally see one of these in my future. Adjustable sights, 3" barrel, my favorite cartridge, lightweight; man that's sweet. If it had six shots I would order one right now.

djw54

Single-Sixer
wolfee said:
Today's "new arrivals" at Davidson's show 46 of the things just landed on their dock. Be interesting to watch how fast they disappear. Or don't. My guess is they will. Great stocking stuffer.

Just saw this. As of now, they are gone.

wolfee said:
Today's "new arrivals" at Davidson's show 46 of the things just landed on their dock. Be interesting to watch how fast they disappear. Or don't. My guess is they will. Great stocking stuffer.

I checked at about 5:30pm yesterday, and they were gone. I wonder how many they got.

wolfee

Blackhawk
And, they have been removed from the "new arrivals" list. Maybe they are going to allocated status and they don't want their dealers to know how many they have.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
As soon as my lgs gets one in I'll trade our lc380 for it.the wife don't like the lc380 and I no not load 380 but 38/357 I do and I think she will love it.

DLM

Bearcat
I'm of the opinion that a 3" adjustable sight .38 special is a great idea. I find myself shooting more .38 special than .22LR these days, as I refuse to pay scalper prices for 22LR. I can hand load .38 special for less than the $5.00 for a 50 count box that the scalpers are getting for .22LR. There hasn't been a box of 22LR seen in a retail store in quite a long time.
The mountain men had their "possibles bag", the dough boys their "kit bag", and now the preppers, "the bug out bag". A 3" adjustable sight revolver is a great "kit gun". Smith and Wesson produced such a revolver in the 1990s as a 3" model 36 and later the model 60. When it became possible to chamber the J frame in .357 magnum, the .38s went away.
Some bemoan that the adjustable sights and barrel length negate concealed carry. Agreed, concealed carry is not this gun's forte. It is a kit gun. A gun you stash in a tackle box, a tool box, the grub box of your camp kitchen, etc…and open carry while on the trail.
Some bemoan the .38 special chamber. Not me. Who needs the blast and recoil of the .357 in a "J" frame? Not me either. If I need more power I carry a .44 special or a .45 colt. A .38 special is perfectly capable for rabbits, squirrel and grouse. A .357 magnum is too much of a good thing in a J frame…my opinion.
The .357 magnum model will be heavier, due to the steel frame and less aggressive cylinder fluting. Marketing hype being what it is, this 3" LCRx is still a sub one pound revolver. The steel frame models won't be.
My wife claimed my S&W when she learned to shoot. Her hands are small and only a J frame will fit. I want one of these to replace the Smith.
This model is proof that Ruger does listen to the "Tell the CEO", I suggested it, I'm sure others did too.
A .22LR model will be a grand addition to this model, if we ever see ammo again.

clayflingythingy

Single-Sixer
Just handled one at the LGS. I like. The grip is wonderful. Overall the gun feels good in the hand. Good balance.

Almost bought on the spot but walked away. May go back and buy it.

9x19

Hunter
LGS ordered mine yesterday (in stock at his Dist.), should be here tomorrow.

djw54

Single-Sixer
New gun shop in town opened yesterday, so I had to go. They had two of these in the case.
Really felt good, love the grip.
Man, this thing is ugly.
But, how does it shoot? That's the question.
$498 on the sticker.

Black Dog

Bearcat
How was the fit and finish? Several on GunBroker for $389 plus shipping. But you are buying sight unseen. Black Dog

eveled

Hawkeye
I don't have an opinion about the LCRx, I am so happy with my J frames I have not had the urge to stray.

In general, I have no problem with a .38 special revolver, if it comes with a shorter cylinder, window and frame. To have it proportioned for the .357 and chambered in .38 is silly to me.