Modified front blade?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
I'm probably going to get my blackhawk drilled and tapped for a scope mount--so keeping it "virgin" is no longer all that important to me--just getting it to shoot as well as I can is.

In the meantime, I have trouble sighting with the stock (non-removeable) front blade at anything over 15 yds with my bad eyes for any kind of precision. I'm considering/wondering if anyone has filed the top of the blade so that it comes to a point rather than the horizontal flat area if that would help or is that just a bad idea?? Don't laugh--just a thought. : )

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
bcgunworks said:
Drilling the blade for a .060 fiber optic will help draw your focus
I put a fiber optic front sight on my SBH--and it was an improvement--but still a bit on the big side and round--I'm just wondering if anyone has tried filing the top of the blade so that it makes a point you could maybe set your target POA on top of--or is it a silly idea (since I can't find any examples of this having been tried on-line)?

thanks!

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Triggerpull,

Yes it's been done and it's a tremendous improvement. It provides a much finer sight picture and opens up the light spaces on either side in the rear blade notch.

Another, little more involved solution is changing the rear blade to the Single Six Hunter 'V' notch and milling in the Single Six Hunter front bead sight, click this link and scroll down to page 35 for an illustration: https://ruger-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/_manuals/newModelSuperSingleSix.pdf

Or dovetail a Ruger 10/22 front sight bead sight into the front sight base after grinding off the original blade.

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
Here's what I had in mind:

the top image is the original idea--but I like also a type of front aperature--so I made up one of those : )

jsh

Single-Sixer
I have old eyes and a color blind. Take this for what is worth.
The aperture type will more than likely be to far from the eye to do yo much good. Targets, maybe but I think it will all go into a blur or blob. I have seen guys use an aperture type sight as a rear on XP's. I had a set so I tried them. Outcome was I couldn't get them off fast enough.
The fiber optic work for some depending on color. My color blindness is red green and brown shades. Still say paper sacks are brown, lol. Best fiber optic that stands out for me is the lime green, go figure.
Jeff

I'm not sure what your particular "bad eyes" problem is, but my old eyes just can't make the sights crispy any more.
I used to make both sights sharp, let the target blur and shoot one-hole groups at 25 yds. That was the range I used for load development to separate out the best loads from the also-rans. Then I'd move to 50 yds , etc. Now the best I can do is wear a 1.5X magnifier to make the sights sharp, and the target blurs even more. I've had to resign myself to shooting my one-hole groups at 50 feet. On cloudy days, even the 1.5X diopter won't make em sharp.

I'm pretty sure if I tried your idea, this is what I'd see...

sites_zpsc4423606.jpg

Dantforth

Blackhawk
For what it is worth.......I was having a similar problem with the front sight being blurry. Reading glasses made the rear sight (rifle) clear but front sight and target were so blurry as to be useless. So, knowing that when shooting targets it is most important to have the front sight crystal clear, I measured the distance from my eye to the front sight and had a pair if glasses made to focus on the front sight. The rear sight is sufficiently clear and the target is somewhat blurry but that is acceptable...the front sight is indeed clear! What a difference this made in my open sight target work. A few dollars for a dedicated set of shooting glasses. I also add a pin hole optic to the lens to further clear things up. I am twenty years old again......well, not quite but my shooting is similar. Dave

triggerpull

Single-Sixer
Jimbo357mag said:
Looks funny, fun to shoot. Millet RedDot. :D

I bought one of those millet reddots--it simulates looking through a telescope at a red comet blazing across the sky perfectly. LOL

mhblaw

Blackhawk
I have a USFA Shooting Master in 357 Mag. The front sight is very sharp, not blunt, flat top like most, and I would have to say that, at least for my eyes, it is difficult to use.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
You need an aperture rear sight blade to go with your pointed front sight.

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=110426
From Dick (sixshot)
0222.jpg

7/32" hole size

OTHER OPTIONS:
For us old CAS shooters there is the simplest do-it-yourself solution! "Sure Hit Sights" here:
http://www.slickmagicguns.com/

Step by step how to here:
http://www.slickmagicguns.com/Instructions_for_Sure_Hit_Sights.pdf