Question on Lipsey's Super Blackhawk Bisley,grip odd or off?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

smorin2

Single-Sixer
Thank you sir,yup, obvious about the cylinder and barrel,i didn't think that one through lol.

andyo5

Single-Sixer
Well, after taking photos it looks like the fit of the grips on my stainless Bisley is not much better than those shown by shootingintexas. Funny, I never really noticed it before.

_DSC4437.jpg

_DSC4438.jpg

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
caryc said:
They're "one size fits nothing". But you're getting what you paid for in the gun.

Cary Sorry I have to ask did you get my PM or E Mail about the Grips for my Bisley?

GasGuzzler

Hunter
Wow...that's pretty wild. I don't think it would keep me from getting it if it's what I was looking for. Wonder if the OP even went back and bought it?

CraigC

Hawkeye
andyo5 said:
Does antbody know whether the wooden Bisley grips from Hogue are a better fit than the factory grips?
They could be but it's still a gamble. They're definitely more comfortable. Here's a pair in cocobolo.

P1010038.JPG

BlkHawk73

Hunter
These are affordable working guns not showpieces set on a shelf to handle with white cotton gloves. Big difference between mass produced grips made apart from the mass produced grip frames and those more costly grips hand fitted to the grip frame. If having the later is such an important aspect, you don't buy "affordable" then expect them equal to the costly ones.

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
On my Last Ruger Bisley Hunter I purchased a set of Hogue Ebony Gun Fighter Grips for it before they were really in production. And even though not perfect as you would expect being as they were a mass produced item they were better than the factory Ruger Grips.

Rclark

Hunter
It to bad some manufactures just don't make/mass produce slightly 'oversize' grips and market them as such. Then the buyer can use some elbow grease to make them a 'perfect' fit. I asked the Bearpaw grip maker if it was possible and she sent me an oversize pair which worked out great for one of my revolvers. Probably an hours worth of sanding and testing and it was done. Sort of 'almost ready to use' grips..... Just like we have ARF (almost ready to fly) R/C airplanes :) .

JesterGrin_1

Single-Sixer
I just wished to say I got my replacement grips from Ruger and they are a much much better fit.

dcf69

Bearcat
CraigC said:
single action said:
I call that crap!
Call it what you want, it's reality. Personally, I call ALL of Ruger's factory single action grips since the early flat-tops "crap". The XR3's were the best of the bunch but even they could stand some refinement. They went downhill from 1962 to present. The newer they are, the worse they are. They're terribly shaped, have corners where they should be rounded, are thick where they should be thin and thin where they should be thick. Do I get upset? Not really, it's a Ruger, not a hand-fitted turn of the century Colt. Ruger's guns are made in one factory, the grips are farmed out. If people want to pay an extra $200 for their guns, I'm sure Ruger can start hand-fitting them. That's not how they do business and most buyers don't care anyway.

As stated, the solution is a set of custom stocks fitted to your grip frame. After a lot of expensive experimentation with different makers, I have several sets of Cary Chapman's Bisley stocks and he does them right.

Resurrecting this thread because this Bisley in the top photo grabbed me!
That grip frame really has me with the CCH frame...has that been plum browned or is that the "Ruger Plum" that happens naturally...and is it a Clements? I am looking to finish a Blackhawk conversion with some Plum Brown if I can get it to come out like that!!!
IMG_0942b.jpg

IMG_7801b.jpg