Any Comments on the Beretta Stampede Marshall?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

48flyer

Single-Sixer
I have only Ruger SA's but a local guy here has a Beretta that he wants to trade me for one of my autos.
I dont have any experience with these Berettas so hoping some of you can tell me if they were good quality revolvers. He's in the $450 ballpark for a trade, and I have no problem doing the trade, but want to make sure I get a quality gun. Also, it does not have the original grips with the gun. Is there a source for those anywhere?
Thanks
BerettaStampedeMarshal.jpg

Jim Puke

Hunter
Never read much good about them...though, I have never had any experience with them. Based on what I have read, they definitely have some issues. If I can find a link, I will post it for you to go and have a look.

DGW1949

Hunter
I don't know squat about the model which is pictured but if it uses the same (transfer bar) action which Beretta's original Stampede had, I wouldn't have it on a bet.

That is the Beretta logo on it's grips, so I don't know whay they wouldn't be considered "original", unless the photo was taken prior to their removal.

DGW

48flyer

Single-Sixer
DGW,
That is not the actual gun, just one I found online, that I could link to the photo.
The grips on the gun in question are a very dark, almost black wood, with pearl in place of the Beretta medallions.
Not really my cup of tea. Thats why I would like to find a source for originals.

What is the issue with the transfer bar safety? I didn't realize these had that. I assumed it was similar to the Uberti, which does not incorporate a transfer bar

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
48flyer said:
DGW,
That is not the actual gun, just one I found online, that I could link to the photo.
The grips on the gun in question are a very dark, almost black wood, with pearl in place of the Beretta medallions.
Not really my cup of tea. Thats why I would like to find a source for originals.

What is the issue with the transfer bar safety? I didn't realize these had that. I assumed it was similar to the Uberti, which does not incorporate a transfer bar
Be aware that some models of the current Uberti do have the transfer bar safety. And tthe Beretta is actually a Uberti. An Uberti?

The color case hardening is done by a chemical/heat process that is nothing like the old Ruger process. It is very durable, will fade some in time/use, but far better than the old Vaqueros.

But having said that, my old Vaquero still look very good, fake finish or not:

Bob Wright

DGW1949

Hunter
48flyer said:
DGW,

I didn't say that the model in question had a transfer bar....because I don't know that it does.
What I was getting at is that the "original" Stampede DID, and as a result, required Beretta to reverse engineer Colt's SAA action to accomidate it.
Now, re-engineering in itself is not allways a bad thing, and in fact, Colt themselves has done some of it over the years.....but....in the case of the Stampede, the result was that "working around" the space limitations of the SAA-size frame while figuring out how to make the new ignition system work required that both the size and geometry of enough of the other parts be changed that in the end, reliabilty got compromized.

In other words, the dern things didn't hold up well when put to heavy use. About any CAS shooter who's been in the game for more than 5 or 6 years could probably testify to that too.
On the other hand though, they ARE pretty guns.....so if the one in question does have the same action and all you want it for is to mostly look at and take to the range occassionaly, it might suit you fine.
But $450 for a used one that's been altered?.....naw....I'd say more like $250.....unless it's already developed a cylinder ring, then no, not even that.

DGW

Cherokee Slim

Bearcat
I used that revolver in .45 when I decided to go birds head grip for cowboy matches. I shot maybe 1800 reloaded rounds through it before I finely got the pair of Ruger .45 birds heads that I really wanted. Mine was well made, well fitted parts and not loose in lockup at all. I cleaned it after every match. It looked new when I finally sold it. I may have just gotten a second one but didn't much like that hump on the grip frame. It is definitely a quality product that I would recommend.
Cherokee Slim

Hondo44

Hawkeye
The Beretta line of Ubertis is similar to Cimarron's, the top quality version of Ubertis. Importers get the quality of Ubertis that they are willing to pay for and contract for. Just like Rugers or any other brand, however, problem guns do slip thru.

The Beretta Stampede line of Uberti SAs have the transfer bar unless things have changed recently.
Ubertis all use a slightly larger ~ .060" cylinder diameter the same as the Ruger New Vaqueros, for extra strength.

Easiest place to get factory grips is from Brownells according to Beretta's website: http://www.brownells.com/ascx/.aspx/sid=885/schematicsdetail/Beretta-Stampede

One piece birdshead grips are $120 so you'll want to consider that into what the gun costs you. $450 -120 = $330 which is the most I'd pay for the gun and he can keep the current grips on the gun.

DGW1949

Hunter
Not doubting anyone here, but me personaly, I've never seen a Uberti that had a transfer bar. I am however, well aware of the somewhat recent buy-outs, mergers and stuff which put Uberti and Beretta under the same umbrella.....so, it wouldn't suprize me none to discover what was once a Barreta to be marked as being a Uberti....or vice-versa.....or even to see the new corporate conglomerate come out with some sort of Italian frankenclone which is part both.

On a related note;
I bought a new Uberti Cattleman about 3 months ago. It came in the same box with the same markings which Uberti's have come in for years. The gun has the same Uberti markings, same CCH frame, same deep bluing, same excellent fit, same grip materal. The only thing different between it and the other half-dozen that's passed throuh my hands within the last 12 years or so is that this one came with the (very) old-style "hammer block safety" which prevents the hammer from moving forward if it's resting on it's first notch.....but....that's a resurrected Uberti feature, not a Berreta feature. And FWIW, it is quite different than a transfer bar.

DGW

Bob Wright

Hawkeye
DGW1949 said:
Not doubting anyone here, but me personaly, I've never seen a Uberti that had a transfer bar. I am however, well aware of the somewhat recent buy-outs, mergers and stuff which put Uberti and Beretta under the same umbrella.....so, it wouldn't suprize me none to discover what was once a Barreta to be marked as being a Uberti....or vice-versa.....or even to see the new corporate conglomerate come out with some sort of Italian frankenclone which is part both.

On a related note;
I bought a new Uberti Cattleman about 3 months ago. It came in the same box with the same markings which Uberti's have come in for years. The gun has the same Uberti markings, same CCH frame, same deep bluing, same excellent fit, same grip materal. The only thing different between it and the other half-dozen that's passed throuh my hands within the last 12 years or so is that this one came with the (very) old-style "hammer block safety" which prevents the hammer from moving forward if it's resting on it's first notch.....but....that's a resurrected Uberti feature, not a Berreta feature. And FWIW, it is quite different than a transfer bar.

DGW

The Uberti 1873 Cattleman has no transfer bar.

The Uberti 1873 Horseman has the transfer bar.

http://www.uberti.com/1873-horseman-revolver

Bob Wright

Ruger36

Bearcat
I bought a new Berretta stampede , not the Marshall ,not happy with it internals junk mine locked up with hammer not quite fully cocked a live round under hammer, Think about it what do you do ,Wasn't able to let the hammer down or fully cock it, Is it going to go off by its self Try holding hammer while trying to take out the cyl. ???

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Ruger36 said:
Think about it what do you do ,Wasn't able to let the hammer down or fully cock it, Is it going to go off by its self Try holding hammer while trying to take out the cyl. ???

No! With the transfer bar, it can't fire w/o your finger on the trigger. Or for extra measure, block the hammer channel with a wood pencil or similar, then remove cylinder!

5.7MAN

Bearcat
I had one, Nice revolver. The simulated case color didn't hold up very well but fit and finish was very good as was accuracy. I sold it off and wished I hadn't!