Tell me about BFR's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MaxP

Buckeye
71shooter said:
Can someone compare the size of the frames of the Blackhawk and standard BFR. Just curious?

The BFR is a bit larger -- like a Blackhawk that's been lifting weights, so it is consequently heavier, but not a bunch. It's beefier in all the right places.

Mus408

Hunter
I have one in .45-70 and recently shortened the barrel from 7.5 inches to 5.2. Really a nice shooter and the shorter barrel makes it easier to draw from my shoulder rig.
Only thing missing that I would like to add is the cylinder rotation click like my other SA Rugers!
I also added wood grips for a Super Blackhawk

wizzard

Bearcat
big, well built, strong, a little heavy but surprisingly well balanced (for what it is), and more accurate than the shooter more often than not. I have a 45-70 w/ a 10" barrel. The grip and sights not bad but could be better. I scoped mine and am thinking about a Huntington grip mod.

MaxP

Buckeye
dlhredfoxx said:
They look like a dump truck with a barrel sticking out of one end, and a grip frame on the other end.

A dump truck? Really??

Here's my first one in .500 JRH......

P1000390.jpg

UmpquaCharlie

Buckeye
I love mine.....the 500 with 7.5 inch barrel is murder on the hands with full house loads. The 30-30 is a joy to shoot and the 45-70 with trapdoor loads (light) can be shot all day long as a bonus you can buy a 450 Marlin cylinder.

whichwatch

Blackhawk
dlhredfoxx said:
They look like a dump truck with a barrel sticking out of one end, and a grip frame on the other end.

I see nothing that even closely resembles a dump truck.

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
Wished I had known of BFR's before buying most of my Ruger revolvers. BFR's have better triggers and are very accurate. Built much stronger than the Rugers as well.
Yes, they cost more. But IMO are worth every penny.

Mus408

Hunter
OK.. here's a video of my water jug test of my .45-70 BFR after I cut the barrel to 5.2 inch.
Was shooting Hornady .325 gr. flex tip ammo. About as hot as you will find in off the shelf ammo other than Buffalo Bore.
The "Pit Bull" BFR packs a punch!
http://youtu.be/FjcTmDgQ7GM?list=UUhieJXyTMwZd7H0NRtYoo2w

AKDRSS

Single-Sixer
CraigC said:
If they were available blued and with the Bisley grip frame, I'd have several.
Cant help with the blued but you can always send one (like I did) to Jack Huntington for him to do his grip mod and install custom grips.

Mus408

Hunter
And the bullet was recovered!
http://youtu.be/pHL_QWNU37A?list=UUhieJXyTMwZd7H0NRtYoo2w