grip question...44 spl flat top

Help Support Ruger Forum:

arkievol

Bearcat
I'm pretty new to Rugers and just bought a new model Blackhawk 44 special flat top. I want to replace the original grips but am confused about what to look for. Can't find any specific to that model.

I have a new model Blackhawk 45 convertible and found grips for it but the Flat Top model is obviously different.

Will new model Vaquero grips fit the 44 Flat Top?

Thanks...JJ

gak

Buckeye
What you have are XR3 or more accurately the more recent years (decade), new XR3 - very close to the Rugers of the 50s but with different locating pin hole and maybe a few other minor fitting areas--others can weigh in on that. The grip is also close to the Colt SAA, though I can't vouche Gen 2 or 3.

Your grip size (grip frame) is common with all NM (ie post 73) midframe Rugers, that is New Vaqueros and .357 (50th Ann.) Flattop, .44 Sp New Vaqueros (marked just "Vaquero" btw) and flattops, and .45 Colt flattops, and the 50th Anniversary .44 Mag flattop (which is a hybrid of the smaller midframe grip frame mated to the "regular" (large frame) Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk cylinder frame)...and perhaps a few others I'm forgetting. . All of these NM midframes listed were made post 2005/6 or so when the New Vaquero and 50th Anniversary .357 flattop were introduced. Someone tries to sell you a grip from/for a gun prior to that, it's the wrong grip, unless it's the early "old model" flattops mentioned with the above caveats.

caryc

Hawkeye
Here's a visual on your .44 specials grip. Yours is the XR3 while the regular Blackhawk and Vaquero are the XR3-RED. Technically speaking what you want are grips for the "new XR3" steel grip frame.

F-gripsquare3.jpg

David LaPell

Blackhawk
If you are partial to stag grips, I would recommend those from Patrick Grashorn, he did a lot of mine over the years.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
Patrick shouldn't use the term Stag generically, it's only from the Stag Deer species. So calling his grips Elk Stag is like calling a car a Ford Chevy; can't be both.

Stag and Elk are both antler but one is Stag Deer antler from either the Red Stag Deer antler or the India Sambar Stag Deer antler while the other is Elk antler and Moose antler. And real Stag Deer antler is worth a lot more than Elk or Moose antler.

we find often that there is a difference in the weight,stag (Sanbar) is heavier and the elk type is lighter, and also the 'elk' is more 'porous'?? seems the stags are "denser", just MY observation, and I like them BOTH !!!
and yes, your price will vary greatly, stag is always much more..........
yes, when Ruger came out with the 'anniversary' Blackhawks, in around 2005, the "new" XR-3 is "close'but not the same, " the locating pin as well as lack of "notch" at the top ,front to clear the grips frame, you can switch them around with a bit of altering to the locating pin hole and "notch" out the top ,front and put them on the OM (old model) XR-3 in a pinch..........
all the "new" grips /frames on these later models, ( the flattops style and the "New" Vaquero can get confusing......