Source for gold/brass bead front sight for GP-100?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

TL in OR

Bearcat
I could've sworn that Ruger offered one as an accessory...perhaps they once did. I've searched a bit thinking someone must make one but have come up empty-handed. I checked with SDM - they make 'em for the S&W but don't offer one for the Ruger.
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=19714/Product/S_W_REVOLVER_GOLD_BEAD_FRONT_SIGHT
If all else fails, I could get a factory or Bowen front sight and have a bead installed, but I was hoping to find a drop-in ready-to-go option. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thel

Blackhawk
Gemini Custom makes a gold bead front sight for SP-101's and 3" GP-100's. Here is a link:

http://geminicustoms.imoutdoorshosting.com/store/index.html

At one time Ruger offered a brass bead front sight with V-shaped rear for adjustable sight Redhaws that fit GP's. I think the Gemini, albeit expensive, is vastly superior in that I have found brass tarnishes and the bead on the Gemini is larger.

TL in OR

Bearcat
Thanks Thel, I'll check with them and see if they offer one. The sight pictured in the link is for the fixed-sight version that is pinned in place, and I'm looking for the interchangeable style as found on the adj. sight model GP's and Redhawks. I find it a bit odd that there isn't one listed for a revolver with a more easily changed sight such as the GP-100, as it seems like that would be a broader market. Some S&W's have a similarly easy-to-change-out front sight system, and front sight choices abound for their style.

Jimbo357mag

Hawkeye
Ruger used to sell one and they still sell the wide 'V' notch rear sight.
http://shopruger.com/Sights/products/24/
Perhaps a WTB ad in the classifieds would turn one up.
There are many gold bead front sights from Williams and Marble's for a dovetail.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=334345

...Jimbo

GhosT

Blackhawk
TL in OR,

The GOLD BEAD SITE THING cool..
But thought I should share this.

Own both a GP100 and a Super REDHAWK...owned them for many years.

As I always knew the SRH was gonna be scoped...I tried something.
I tried, and it worked...switching the front sights !

Now my GP100 wears the SRH front site....That site has a built in orange insert.
TWO FOLD cool results....

First...it lines up really fast when ya need to shoot fast..raise the gun..that orange stands out (betting even more than the golden bead).

Second,
The orange does not go to the top....Above it is guessing 1/8th " of the standard black site...allows for well aimed slower shots!

Nothing more than saying...ya might wanna check this out ;)

Thel

Blackhawk
You are correct about the interchangeable front sights. A thought would be to get a sight blank from Bowen and send it to Jim Stroh (www.alphaprecisioninc.com) and have him add a gold bead. I had him make a custom gold bead front sight for a Colt Magnum Carry I had and he even offered the choice of what size of gold bead to have. As you would not need to send the gun the shipping cost should be reasonable on this. Ruger did offer a front sight set with a brass bead and V-notch rear and there should be some floating around somewhere. I found the bead to be a bit small for my use but YMMV.

hariph creek

Bearcat
I too wanted a gold bead front with express rear, so I looked...and I looked..then looked some more. I don't remember where but I found it, but it was EXPENSIVE! So instead I put on a tritium set from Meprolight, I'm glad I did, they were way cheaper. I trained alot with 3-dot tritium in my semi-auto days, so this was natural for me. Xpress Sights makes a Big Dot tritium express setup thats pretty affordable as well.