Help installing the Magazine Release Latch Spring P90

Help Support Ruger Forum:

viperjody

Bearcat
I went to shoot my P90 today and the Magazine release fell out of the pistol. By all accounts, it appears the spring is missing. I ordered a new one, but I have no idea how it installs. Does any have any photos and instructions they can post? Please Help... thanks!

Flash

Buckeye
It is quite difficult for the release or the spring to FALL out so the spring must have broke but considering the job these springs do, they should last for hundreds of years. Download the manual from Ruger's web site. They're easy to install with the grips off.

viperjody

Bearcat
I downloaded the manual and it does NOT show anything remote as to how the spring installs, orientation, etc... there is an exploded view of all the parts, but that's it. This is not the bar type spring, it is an actual small spring. anybody have a P90 they can take a picture of how it is installed?

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
Welcome to the forums viperjody :D
4t12pt.jpg

Regards,
Greg

OLD THREAD from 2010 ....... same new problem.

The magazine latch spring just broke on my P90. The "funny" part is that Ruger says that part is No Longer Available in their inventory, and I was referred to Brownells to get the part. It is now on order.

Unfortunately Greg's link for the picture doesn't work. I'm hoping someone can post it again.

Cheers and Thanks,

Carl

gb6491

Single-Sixer
Foothills of the Gila Mountains, SW Arizona.
45blackhawk said:
OLD THREAD from 2010 ....... same new problem.

The magazine latch spring just broke on my P90. The "funny" part is that Ruger says that part is No Longer Available in their inventory, and I was referred to Brownells to get the part. It is now on order.

Unfortunately Greg's link for the picture doesn't work. I'm hoping someone can post it again.

Cheers and Thanks,

Carl
Here ya go Carl:
11mci6b.jpg

Regards,
Greg

roylt

Hunter
Pic even shows the scratch you get when installing. Cool.

Keep the P-guns alive!!

I've enjoyed both my P90 and P97 for over 12 years, they have been flawless in performance.

And I got lucky 3 months ago: picked up a P89. So far, it too is flawless in performance.

Cheers,

Carl

FlyerTom

Single-Sixer
The spring broke in my P90 last year, and this same picture was posted to help me in selecting which hole in the release the straight part of the spring should go into. Unfortunately, the picture isn't clear enough to determine where it goes and the poster said his latch only has one hole. I bought 2 from Ruger (Sept. 2012), and promptly lost one of them because it's hard to see through a plastic bag. :cry: On my second attempt, I managed to get it installed, but placed the spring in the wrong hole in the latch, and had to take it apart again.
If your latch has two holes in it, place the spring into the left-most hole (assuming you want the conventional position). You'll need a strong light, a really tiny screwdriver, tweezers, and a mouth guard to keep from biting your tongue.

FIXED IT UPDATE ..... I received the spring, just got it installed. Not a perfect fit per se. It sticks up just a tiny bit into the magazine channel and drags just a tiny bit on the magazine, which prevents the magazine from smoothly dropping down & out.
If I find the energy, I may remove the spring and bend the long leg down just a tad, that seems to be why the left-side edge sticks up a tiny bit.
But for now, the fixit works just fine and the P90 is back in business.

FlyerTom,
You are right, that's a tiny spring in the plastic bag, I had to hunt to find it.
Only one hole in my latch. Instead of a mouth guard, I clamped the pistol frame muzzle-pointing-down in the vise, so I only needed two hands. For better or worse, no swearing required for this particular installation.

GENERAL QUESTION: The concept of 2 holes in the latch: do you suppose that's how the "obviously ambidextrous" latch is changed so as to change the latch for the left-handed shooter, so he/she can use their left-hand thumb to depress the latch from the right side of the pistol ??

Cheers,

Carl

roylt

Hunter
I don't think you can really make the mag release into a lefty because the mag doesn't have a cutout on both sides.

roylt

Hunter
You're right. What was I thinking. Now I want to try to make one a lefty. Thanks a lot. haha.

FlyerTom

Single-Sixer
All you need is a latch with two spring holes in it. :D
(Don't ask me to measure the diameter and hole spacing from my latch. Ain't gonna do it. No how. No way.) :mrgreen:

BTW: My model is a P90DC purchased in 1992.

I purchased my P90 in DEC 2000.

Of interest, I'm looking at the exploded view diagram I found at Numrich: 2 holes are shown in the magazine latch .....
https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Ruger-33474/AutoPistols-40403/P90D-35128.htm

Of further interest, the Brownell's view shows only 1 hole .....
http://www.brownells.com/userdocs/schematics/r-p90.gif

Curiouser and Curiouser !!

Cheers,

Carl

chefrob1

Single-Sixer
roylt said:
Pic even shows the scratch you get when installing. Cool.

Keep the P-guns alive!!

some how I managed to install it with no scratch......lotsa cussin'.......but no cratch.
thx for the pic!!!!!!

Danno84

Bearcat
Last night I had the issue of the magazine latch spring breaking at the range. I called Ruger first thing this morning and they are shipping one to me, free of charge.