SR9c Takedown Pin Problem (it's too loose)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

stevenliong

Bearcat
The most common complaint about the takedown pin of the SR9c is that "it's too hard to remove". This was my case at first, but after a while it actually loosened up to the point where it is currently "too loose". It won't fall out or anything (as tends to happen frequently with the cam block pins), but I bet it shouldn't feel as loose as it actually feels at the moment. Every time I rack the slide I notice the take down pin move a bit outward (to the left). So my question is, how can I make the take down pin fit better or make it "move less"????

jhearne

Buckeye
Between the Camblock and the Frame there's a little spring, shaped like a L that got a little loopy at the corner.

DSC_0197.jpg

It's supposed to fit in the channel cut in the Camblock and it retains both the Take Down Pin and another Frame/Camblock Assembly Pin. If it's either missing or improperly installed, it can lead to one or both of the pins being loose.

Josh

john16443

Single-Sixer
I would also add that it is well worth your time to look at and understand Josh's videos that are located in his sig line. I can't thank him enough for making them available. They will guide you through the simple process of getting to the cam block to make sure this pring is there and installed properly. As you can see from his photo in the previous post, the spring is located so the little indents on the pins fit in there, that's what should be providing the resistance from them falling out.

John

sailor

Bearcat
My wife just bought an SR9c - NIB. Everything seems OK, except the opposite if the OP thread - the take down pin is so tight, it requires tools and severe pressure to draw out, or replace - to the point that the pin, to be seated all the way, needs gentle hammering. I had a local gunsmith strip it to the cam block, so now under stand the retainer spring is the "drag" on pin movement. Is it normal for this model to require tools to drive out, and hammer back in, the retaining pin? This is her third Ruger CCW, and seems a fine weapon, but have not yet fired it.
sailor

jhearne

Buckeye
No, you shouldn't require tools to remove the Take Down pin. It's meant to be a tool-less Field Strip firearm. Maybe something internally is off and is adding excess friction or the spring is a little out of form. I can't say, if it doesn't get better over time, I'd give Ruger a call. Field Stripping should never be difficult.

Josh

GeorgeP

Single-Sixer
sailor said:
Thanks for the info - we will work it a while, see if it improves or not.

Sailor, watch Josh's videos. I suspect if you are having to force the pin out and back in you are doing something wrong. Read your manual again and view the videos before you break something. Mine only requires finger pressure both ways.

sailor

Bearcat
Yes, I suspected that I may be missing a "step" in the directions. Turns out, I did everything right. I had a gunsmith strip it, and he had the exact same problem - including hammering the pin home. The exactness of the pin-to-spring fit seems just a tad too close, and with no actual spring movement allowed for, the tightness remains. I can actually "screw action" get the pin out and back in, except the initial punch start, and the final hammer-home is now down to putting it on a flat surface, and really bearing down with my thumb. I have fired it, and had zero problems, and great accuracy. My wife, however, is limp wristing it, and cannot get two rounds in a row fired. Not deliberate limp wristing, but old age, carple tunnel surgery, healing from abdominal surgery, and way out of date practicing (again, not because of lazy). I see it as a great 9mm, for those that like the "machine aspect" of semi-autos, and would highly recommend it.

ge33913

Bearcat
I'm sorry I bought the SR9c, between difficulty racking the slide, and the takedown having to be hammered out, plus having to take apart the striker assembly to clean the channel. Too much trouble for an old man, who has yet to get to fire it due to all this. What's the best way to unload this thing without taking too big a haircut?

Oh, Ruger CS actually said to leave the slide back for a week to loosen the spring when I asked about that! (Doubt creeping in here)

Clovishound

Blackhawk
The take down pin on my SR9c required a tool to remove for the first 500K or so. Now, I can push it out with my finger. I made a set of these to remove the takedown pin and the striker cover. I still use the smaller one for the striker channel, the takedown pin tool gathers dust, however.
tkdown5.jpg

The takedown pin does stay put when inserted. It was a little tight going in when new, but did not require tools to reinsert IIRC.

HS-LD

Bearcat
Clovishound said:
The take down pin on my SR9c required a tool to remove for the first 500K or so. Now, I can push it out with my finger. I made a set of these to remove the takedown pin and the striker cover. I still use the smaller one for the striker channel, the takedown pin tool gathers dust, however.
tkdown5.jpg

The takedown pin does stay put when inserted. It was a little tight going in when new, but did not require tools to reinsert IIRC.

I have the same experience. My Sr9c is just now starting to loosen up so I can just now remove the pin without a punch. SO it's been about 500 rounds and 3-4 cleanings. On the other hand my SR9's have been tool-less since day 1. Not sure about cleaning the striker channel, after 500 rounds I don't see any problem. Maybe after 5000 but so what, no big deal.