Loaded chamber indicator

Help Support Ruger Forum:

2scars

Bearcat
Has anyone filed this down to keep it from raising when loaded? I think it is the only thing I am not too fond of about this pistol. It would seem that a quick touch of the grinder would be all that is necessary to flatten the pin that holds it up.

Brandon

john16443

Single-Sixer
Yes, there have been folks that have removed some of the finger so that it doesn't raise up as much. I don't think anyone has removed enough to render the indicator useless. It looks like you'll have to remove the indicator from the slide because part of the finger is tucked in behind the face of the firing pin surface.

Gizmo42

Single-Sixer
I've never figured out why this bothers ppl. When I'm shooting it I never notice it. Busy looking at the sights and target. When holstering it sits much lower then the sights and doesnt get stuck on anything.

Maybe I'm just weird.

Swampbilly

Single-Sixer
Myself, I am glad to have it on the Ruger P345...removes any mystery as to whether a round is chambered. I just wish it was a bit smaller. To be effective, it does not have to be that big, nor say "Loaded" on the side of it.

Otis

Bearcat
Gizmo I aggree with you, I dont even notice it when Im firing my SR9.

john16443

Single-Sixer
Yup, as someone that is totally new to the whole gun ownership thing this year, I appreciate all of the safety features. One of my biggest fears going into this with semi-autos was the fact that there still could be a round in the chamber even with the mag out and it would be possible to discharge the gun. Both my 9mm's have a mag disconnect feature and a visual loaded chamber indicator. I have to say the Ruger version of the LCI is better executed. Can't even tell when shooting, but certainly can feel it in the dark if necessary.

resident

Single-Sixer
One of the BEST things about the .22 auto pistol is the loaded-chamber indicator, in my opinion.

The only complaint I have is..... it doesn't tell me if it's a hollow-point or a shot-shell! (I'd hate to shoot a hole in my hangar roof when all I want to do is kill that damn canyon-wren that keeps pooping on my airplane!) :lol:

NixieTube

Blackhawk
I know there are some people who don't like them but one of the reasons I bought an SR9 was because of the tactile LCI. It's a "house gun" and I want to know and see (if possible) when I touch it if it's chambered, in the dark, in the rain, in the middle of a hurricane, etc., etc. Press-checking is a good thing to practice occasionally but I'd much rather not have to do it with a pistol I'm relying on in an emergency situation, possibly in the dark, possibly after not having touched it for a month. I want to pick it up and know what the status is with zero effort, and importantly, zero noise.

Raminator

Bearcat
I grew up always assuming guns are loaded, so the LCI doesn't have any other function to me but to be a visual and tactile indication that a round is chambered, which I assume anyway. But the LCI isn't a substitute for checking the chamber and verifying that a round is or isn't in the chamber.

That said, the LCI does not bother me in the slightest. I have no desire to file it down and for the most part, I don't even notice it when I'm on the line.

A

Anonymous

I filed mine down, it's about half as high as it was. Looks WAY better now. Before it was just stupidly high.

clint_lnl

Bearcat
just got my SR9 and was so-so on the load indicator but figured its there will see how it does.. well 1st time out with it today and never noticed it.

Latest posts