P-89 Modification to P-95 Trigger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

roylt

Hunter
Nice, I never really thought about the effect of the trigger return spring but as I read your post it clicked for me. I doubt I will change anything on my gun but it is interesting.

Thanks for sharing. Also a side note; I really like pictures.

mobilebyrd

Bearcat
I feel bad for resurrecting such an old post. With that being said, I have a question about this upgrade.

Are all P95 triggers the same or is there a certain style which must be modded to work in a P89?

The only source I have found for P95 triggers is auctions and I want to make sure I buy the right item.

roylt

Hunter
I am not 100 % sure but think all the 95 triggers are the same. 95 model is obsolete so parts are hard to find.

Also don't feel bad about bringing up an old post. Maybe some other newer person will see it and it may help them too.

Welcome here and good luck,

I'm a P-nut!!

I haven't seen any 89s or 95s on the market for a while now. Interesting thread though. I commend those who did this mod and shared it with our fellow ruger family. Thank you.

Though I have no interest in either of these guns, the SPIRIT of this thread is what makes me stick around Rugerforum. Thanks for keeping it lively, friendly, and interesting!

Pistole

Bearcat
I just did the trigger P95 trigger swap with my P85. I didn't have to file a round groove into the trigger, just swapped them out. Seems to be working just fine. It was a little tricky getting it to fit because of the little lip on the P95 trigger but once i figured it out it popped into place. I'll be heading to the range to run some ammo through it to confirm.

ruger_1.jpg

My P85 is one of the originals that was retrofitted and has the MKII stamped on the safety.

The P85 compared to my p95PR.
ruger_2.jpg

It's definitely more comfortable to pull the trigger now. The stock P85 trigger has sharp corners compared to the rounded P95 trigger. It would tend to cut into my trigger finger after a few rounds making it difficult to shoot. Much improved now! I picked up a couple of P95 triggers after I bought my P95DC. Ruger won't sell them unless you own a P95. Now to try out the Wolfe spring kits.

Pistole

Bearcat
I never figured the P85 to be rare. I've had it for what 27- 29 years, bought it in the late 80's at a pawn shop.

roylt

Hunter
The original stainless units were not made long before the MII models came out. I've seen in box units go for $400+.

Doesn't really mean anything for you. Just a comment. I wouldn't change anything you're doing. Keep enjoying it.

Ever had to replace any parts? Approximately how many rounds do you think you have shot thru it? Just curious.

Pistole

Bearcat
The parts I've replaced are the lanyard loop/ hammer spring retainer, the grips and the of course the trigger. I bought a couple of sets of the Wolfe lower weight hammer springs for it and the P95. Haven't installed those yet. Very few rounds through the P85. Of course I have all the parts and they're pretty easy to swap out on the pistols. Something that's weird is that the P85 mags will fit the P95 but the P95 mags won't work in the P85. Is that normal?

smaug

Bearcat
Actually, yes! It is strange and I think it may be due to the different configuration of the milling on the underside of the slide. The same holds true of the P94 mag vs the P85 mag as well. One day I will pull the slides off of the two guns side by side and try a P94 mag in the P85 frame. Interesting experiment to see if we could figure out what makes the difference in fit, because real-life Ruger P85 mags are getting harder to find. Whereas the later OEM Ruger P-series 9mm mags (With the plastic Ruger logo floorplate) are much easier to find.