LCP decocker lever?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

bradford

Bearcat
I just got a LCP and was reading the manual (really I was) when it mentioned the decocker lever. What the heck are they referring to. I didnt know it has a decocker.

bradford

Bearcat
I didn't imagine anything! Its on page 14 in the real owners manual in a warning section, the 5th line down from the top. But then I imagine you don't have a manual.

In your defense, your right it is left out of the online manual.

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
bradford":3tnitw9a said:
I didn't imagine anything! Its on page 14 in the real owners manual in a warning section, the 5th line down from the top. But then I imagine you don't have a manual.

Sorry Bradford, was just trying to be funny!! (quess my joke didn't come acress very well - my bad.)

No I don't have my maunals with me (their back in Montana, I am in Florida), But I can ASSURE YOU THERE IS NO DECOCKER LEVER on the 370 and 371 LCPs, no matter what it says on page 14 of your manual. Do you have a 372?

Here's the warning off page 14 (on-line manual) would you kindly quote reply and edit it so it reads as your manual?

Do not load the pistol until you are ready to use it, and
unload it immediately when you have completed
shooting. (See "Unloading Warning" on page 15. )

If dropped or struck, the pistol may fire. Keep chamber
empty unless actually firing!

For maximum safety when carrying the pistol with a
loaded magazine in place, the chamber should be
empty, the slide should be closed. If placed into a
holster, check it to be sure that the slide is not
retracted far enough to either chamber a cartridge
from the magazine.

The user should never depend on any mechanical
device to justify careless handling or permitting the
pistol to point in an unsafe direction. The shooter
should always be alert to the possibility of accidental
discharge. The only absolutely safe pistol is one in
which the slide is open, the chamber is empty, and
there is no magazine in the gun.

bradford

Bearcat
MountainGator":uane3ygi said:
bradford":uane3ygi said:

Sorry Bradford, was just trying to be funny!! (quess my joke didn't come acress very well - my bad.)

No I don't have my maunals with me (their back in Montana, I am in Florida), But I can ASSURE YOU THERE IS NO DECOCKER LEVER on the 370 and 371 LCPs, no matter what it says on page 14 of your manual. Do you have a 372?

Here's the warning off page 14 (on-line manual) would you kindly quote reply and edit it so it reads as your manual?

Do not load the pistol until you are ready to use it, and
shooting. (See "Unloading Warning" on page 15. )

If dropped or struck, the pistol may fire. Keep chamber
empty unless actually firing! Use decock lever to decock pistol before moving with pistol or when not actually firing.

For maximum safety when carrying the pistol with a
empty, the slide should be closed. If placed into a
holster, check it to be sure that the slide is not
retracted far enough to either chamber a cartridge
from the magazine.

The user should never depend on any mechanical
device to justify careless handling or permitting the
pistol to point in an unsafe direction. The shooter
should always be alert to the possibility of accidental
discharge. The only absolutely safe pistol is one in
which the slide is open, the chamber is empty, and
there is no magazine in the gun.

jhearne

Buckeye
Thinking they Copy/Pasted that line from another manual and forgot to edit the "decocker" part out of it.

Hey, atleast the manual's instructions are understandable and in English....manuals nowadays sometimes come with jibberish and hard to understand sentences (guess they're outsourcing typing to the Chinese too :roll:).

Josh

Cholo

Staff member
I have a fairly early one, 370-03xxx, and it has the decock mention. Mine also doesn't specifically say not to use +P ammo, so I guess it will take a steady diet of Buffalo Bore's Hard Cast stuff :shock:

:wink:

Hoosier

Bearcat
I always considered the trigger the "decock" lever! :wink:

I just checked my manual for my 371xxx and sure enough, there it is on pg 14 under WARNING - HANDLING.
"Use decock lever to decock pistol before moving with pistol or when not actually firing".

Also I just checked and the manual for my p89 says the exact same thing under the same warning.

Hoosier

Bearcat
Mine also doesn't specifically say not to use +P ammo, so I guess it will take a steady diet of Buffalo Bore's Hard Cast stuff

I think the warning was added to manuals starting with the 371xxx numbers. I remember seeing a photo of an LCP that had blown apart. Can't remember if it was because of using +p ammo but all the discussions I have read from LCP user groups and Ruger pretty much agree it shouldn't be used in any LCP.

jhearne

Buckeye
Hoosier":3svgi7vt said:
Mine also doesn't specifically say not to use +P ammo, so I guess it will take a steady diet of Buffalo Bore's Hard Cast stuff

I think the warning was added to manuals starting with the 371xxx numbers. I remember seeing a photo of an LCP that had blown apart. Can't remember if it was because of using +p ammo but all the discussions I have read from LCP user groups and Ruger pretty much agree it shouldn't be used in any LCP.

Was a handload issue IIRC.

Josh

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
So we need to MAKE SURE THAT............
1) Use decock lever to decock pistol before moving with pistol or when not actually firing.

2) Do Not use +P ammunition

and 3) Do not load the pistol until you are ready to use it, and
shooting. For maximum safety when carrying the pistol with a
empty.

Gee anything else? Ruger is rapidly losing credibility with me as to anything and EVERYTHING stated in the manual.

bradford

Bearcat
OK, I feel better now. Except now I'm worried that out of the thousands of LCP's out there I am the only one who read the manual! OMG! :shock:
And my new LCP is a 372-23xxx :lol:

Hoosier

Bearcat
So we need to MAKE SURE THAT............
1) Use decock lever to decock pistol before moving with pistol or when not actually firing.

First we have to figure out what the heck the decock lever is and where it's located on Ruger pistols. :(

empty.

Hmm. Sort of stacks the deck in favor of the bad guys I would say. :?
I guess I better get me a Colt or S&W so I can actually carry a loaded pistol. LOL

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
bradford":3htku08g said:
OK, I feel better now. Except now I'm worried that out of the thousands of LCP's out there I am the only one who read the manual! OMG! :shock:
And my new LCP is a 372-23xxx :lol:

I read the manual of my 370-44xxx cover-to-cover twice (actually, the first read was the on-line version while I was waiting for it) before I put the first round through it. No I did not read the cover of my 371-16xxx... figured I already knew what it said.

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
Hoosier":2zcpz0oi said:
empty.

Hmm. Sort of stacks the deck in favor of the bad guys I would say. :?
I guess I better get me a Colt or S&W so I can actually carry a loaded pistol. LOL

Exactly, why would ANYONE buy a LCP if you were not going to carry with one in the chamber?

So, we can conclude that there are parts of the manual that are "Strictly Ruger CYA". Now the "revised" manual also states not to use +P ammunition, and I wonder if that statement as also Ruger CYA?