New pistol smell, and a safety question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

collector rob

Bearcat
Well I got my new P345 a week ago. It shoots and feels nice. I really like it. However the frame has a kind of burnt rubber smell. Has anybody else encountered this?
Also the safety movement is vague. I am used to safeties snapping into the on or off position. The Ruger just kind of moves and will stay between positions. Is this normal?
Can a P90 safety be fitted to a P345? My P90 safety has a shelf protrusion which aids in manipulation.

Thanks in advance.

Ski

Bearcat
No burnt rubber smell from my P345!!!?? My safety works the same as yours - there is no definitive click for on or off as say with a 1911. Don't know if a P90 safety can be fitted but a "shelf protrusion" would be nice on the P345...

Mr. Boom

Bearcat
I had a similar smell from my new P95. Once i cleaned all the factory grease and goop off, the smell went away.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
The smell is probably just some leftover "release agent" from the injection molding machines. Make sure to clean the inside of the frame as well, and any crevices.

QB

Single-Sixer
My P95PR smells weird...guess it has something to do with the polymer frame since my P89s don't smell like my P95PR. I've cleaned it several times but it still smells the same.

GhosT

Blackhawk
collector rob,

Thank you...
Not being a smartass, not a shot in ANY WAY...

Just the NEW SMELL THING.....
THAT IS A FIRST FOR ME...lol
In 30 years......NEVER HEARD THAT ONE BEFORE...lol

collector rob

Bearcat
GhosT, No offense taken. It was a first for me too. :D I have cleaned quite a bit of crud off of various old surplus guns, and never encountered a smell like this. I was surprised when I opened the box of a new American made gun and was hit by this smell. I was actually considering throwing it on the top-rack of the dishwasher.

Yosemite Sam

Hunter
I don't own any Ruger poly guns, but have owned a few Glocks, and have found that brand new, recently made ones can both have a funky "burnt tire" smell, as well as looking and feeling slightly wet. I've read that "wet look" is actually supposed to a real good sign, to a polymer scientist.

Now if you want something really nasty, get an old military gun that was stored slathered in Cosmoline. I hate that stuff. Clean and clean your gun, and it'll still ooze out and stink every time you shoot it, at least for a while.

-- Sam

jhstancil

Bearcat
If you clean it after you get it home you will find the smell will disappear. It is the grease Ruger packs them with to prevent rust. At my local gun shop we cal it the "New Ruger Smell". Some have described it as "burnt cardboard". Take it apart and spray it out with Hornady one shot gun cleaner and lube....smell gone Johnny