LCP DUDE Yikes !!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerForMe

Single-Sixer
I was at the range this morning and some dude was shooting his new LCP and was thinking it had more of a bark then I remembered mine having.

Well I walked over and noticed he's shooting +P loads.

I said "you know that gun was not designed to fire +P loads"

he says "yeah it is!? I have over 200 rounds of +P's thought it all ready"

I told him You better read the manual and walked away.

So how many rounds before he starts wearing broken gun parts?

wixedmords

Blackhawk
It would be hard to stop myself from asking the fella where and when the next time is that he plans to be shooting. It would be somewhat like rubbernecking on the highway.

He's been told RFM. That is all you can do.

9x19

Hunter
paul s":3mcennai said:
Did not know there was any +P 380??

There isn't... at least not that SAAMI recognizes. I'm not sure what the fellow was shooting, but... it may have been home-brewed rather than commercial.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Yep, there are places that make and sell .380 +P, but there are no SAAMI specs. No telling how hot those things are.

toysoldier

Hunter
Anyone with half a brain should be able to look at an LCP and realize it wasn't built to take punishment. I'm sticking with non-exotic factory ammo in mine. If I get around to reloading the empties, I'll use them in my $100 Llama. A lot more steel to soak up recoil and take abuse, a lot less to lose if I screw up. BTW, anyone got a rear sight for a Llama?

The only SAAMI-recognized "+P" ammo is for the 9mm, the .38 Special, and the .45 ACP.

Any other chamberings marked "+P" or "+P+" are marketing hype and have no defined pressure limits.

To each his own.

;)

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
RugerForMe":zvx5yln6 said:
I was at the range this morning and some dude was shooting his new LCP and was thinking it had more of a bark then I remembered mine having.

Well I walked over and noticed he's shooting +P loads.

I said "you know that gun was not designed to fire +P loads"

he says "yeah it is!? I have over 200 rounds of +P's thought it all ready"

I told him You better read the manual and walked away.
So how many rounds before he starts wearing broken gun parts?

My Manual doesn't say that (I have a 370-)
Yes, I know that Rudger "REVISED" the manual to state "No +P"
But MY MAYUAL (and Yours too) states NOT to Carry with one in the chamber..............Do (any of) you ABIDE by that manual warning too???

Cholo

Staff member
I shoot Cor-Bons in my NAA .380 without a hickup and will shoot them in my LCP when I have enough to break it in. Some of the Buffalo Bore stuff is pretty stiff :shock: I'll save them for my all steel NAA.

"Anyone with half a brain should be able to look at an LCP and realize it wasn't built to take punishment."

Toy, I agree...but the Cor-Bons aren't that hot. If I need advice on how to remove a slide from between my eyes, our members will be the 1st ones I ask. (Think Sin City) :wink:

Wasn't it John Taffin that said he shot the Bullalo Bore's out of a LCP? I hope his shootin' isn't done from a keyboard...

Not carrying one in the chamber won't hurt the gun a bit.

Shooting ammo of unknown pressure levels might. Different situation.

You are free to do whatever you like, of course.

:D

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Ale-8(1)":3l1x3p6n said:

Well that's the point being missed now isn't it? He is free to do as he likes.
Apparently he shot enough of them and lived.
Personally, being the ornery type if someone came over to me telling me what to shoot and what not to shoot, I would have asked them what business it is of theirs.
But that's just me.
I have shot Buffalo bore and Corbon JHP's out of the gun.
While it's not really made for it, and Ruger doesn't want to repair them with excessive wear and tear, I never had a problem with any case or gun damage.

If I were doing something unadvisable with a gun, I'd appreciate it if someone told me about it. That way I could make an informed decision about my choice of action. I'd also appreciate it if they did so in a polite manner.

I would, of course, hate to be standing next to a guy who unknowingly (or knowingly) grenaded a gun with unsuitable ammo.

MountainGator

Single-Sixer
Ale-8(1)":2a881pkn said:

But I DO know what the pressure level is in the Buffalo Bore, an it's less than the barrel was proof tested to. It's not NOT carrying one in the chamber, It's carrying one in the chamber. The LCP manual specifically states not to carry with one in the chamber. Why do you think that Ruger would put that in the manual excapt as a "CYA"? I'm not convenced that the "Do not use +P ammunition" in the Revised Manual is not a similar "CYA" statement by Ruger.