New SR9

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GaryT

Bearcat
Well, I went and did it again. I went out looking for another SR9 to replace one I (foolishly) sold a few months ago. I had not really "bonded" with it, and I hated the replacement trigger, so I let it go and got an XDm 9mm. I shot the XDm OK, but something about it just wasn't right for me, so I sold it and decided I wanted an SR9 again.

Went to my local Gander Mountain, they had two in the case for $449, marked down from $499. The guy talked me into applying for a Gander Mountain credit card and then knocked an additional $50 off the price, so with tax and NICS check fee, I got it for $434 out the door. I think I did OK on this, I just need to work on liking the trigger.

The one I had was a tack driver, shot to point of aim at 10 yards and was easy to carry. I don't know why I let it go, but I'm glad to have another one. I get to pick it up on Monday, will get pictures up when I get it home (minus the little orange dot on the frame :D ).

ConradM

Blackhawk
GaryT":2qzmy4o0 said:
Well, I went and did it again. I went out looking for another SR9 to replace one I (foolishly) sold a few months ago. I had not really "bonded" with it, and I hated the replacement trigger, so I let it go and got an XDm 9mm. I shot the XDm OK, but something about it just wasn't right for me, so I sold it and decided I wanted an SR9 again.

Went to my local Gander Mountain, they had two in the case for $449, marked down from $499. The guy talked me into applying for a Gander Mountain credit card and then knocked an additional $50 off the price, so with tax and NICS check fee, I got it for $434 out the door. I think I did OK on this, I just need to work on liking the trigger.

The one I had was a tack driver, shot to point of aim at 10 yards and was easy to carry. I don't know why I let it go, but I'm glad to have another one. I get to pick it up on Monday, will get pictures up when I get it home (minus the little orange dot on the frame :D ).

Cut a coil or two off of the striker spring and call it good. :lol: But then again I'll always say that:p

jhearne

Buckeye
What didn't you like about the trigger? Stacking? Gritty? Too heavy a pull?

If it is stacking or gritty then check out my sticky at the top of this section of the forum for some polishing on the internals, but if it's too heavy you can wait a little bit for Ghost to finally release their trigger bar upgrade, $25, minor fitting, claiming a pretty nice pull, 3.5 lbs is my understanding. I checked Ghost Inc. last night and their saying mid August for a release, but that's just around the corner, who knows, was slated for mid July too.

Josh

jhearne

Buckeye
I understand it as when you pull the trigger, you can feel the internal bits contacting one another, sort of like when a train takes off, it backs up all the way, and takes all the slack of the line out one car at a time. One of those things that gets better or worse with the max/min in tolerances set by the engineers.

Josh

ConradM

Blackhawk
oic. I would say my SR9 has slight stacking compared to say an XDm.

jhearne

Buckeye
I could be wrong, but mine wasn't that bad, the polishing I did just made the pull a little smoother, less gritty if you could call it that.

Josh

ConradM

Blackhawk
jhearne":1jaxu9tk said:
I could be wrong, but mine wasn't that bad, the polishing I did just made the pull a little smoother, less gritty if you could call it that.

Josh

Don't get me wrong... I love my trigger. But I did notice that the XDm's (not XD) trigger was the smoothest I've ever felt.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
ConradM":3jb35n0p said:
jhearne":3jb35n0p said:

Josh

Don't get me wrong... I love my trigger. But I did notice that the XDm's (not XD) trigger was the smoothest I've ever felt.

That is why I moved from Glocks to XD's (and have since moved to Ruger), I liked the trigger on the XD much better.

I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's bought something, sold it, then bought another one later to replace it because they were sorry they sold it :p

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
Armybrat":2awkz5kr said:
I don't understand....people sell their personal guns?

:wink:

with my budget, anytime I want something new, something I've already got ends up getting sold or traded. There's about one time a year I actually have money to buy stuff, so I try to maximize it. I've got a real problem now...I'm down to everything I have being keepers. It may be a while before I come up with anything else :shock:

GaryT

Bearcat
Well, I had the XDm and, while it shot OK, something about the grip bugged me...I can't say what, but I remember the SR9 being much more "user friendly," at least for this user. So, sometimes I do buy on a whim, and when it doesn't work out as I had hoped it would, I do sell...I do not anticipate my SR9 going anywhere this time, though...

With the SR9 I preferred the original trigger; I hate the lever in the middle, which is one reason I don't like Glocks and didn't care for the XDm. To be fair, I probably didn't give the new SR9 trigger much of a chance after I got it back from Ruger; I only put about 50 more rounds through it. On my new one, the trigger is a little heavy, but I prefer that on a SD gun anyway, plus I like the thumb safety (I never thought I'd be saying that!) for my bedside gun...

When I had my previous SR9, I took it on a business trip with me, and carried it once I got into jurisdictions where my FL permit is valid. It carried quite easily in a Hume JIT that I had for a P95, and I like the "thinness" of the SR9 vs. the XDm.

Chortdraw

Bearcat
The new trigger on my SR9 doesn't seem to have any gritty or bad feeling to it at all. Just a little stiff but a crisp let off. I hope they do come out with a 45. Would make a good carry.

aWoods

Single-Sixer
My SR9 trigger seems to have really broken in - I estimate it's at 5 lbs now, and half of what it was when I first got it.

It has one annoying thing which I believe is called stacking. It's hard to describe.. The trigger pull is like this:

. . . ... . .!

Latest posts