SR9 light strike after removing mag disconnect.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

e5usmc4066

Bearcat
Hello,

I experienced a strange issue this weekend while at the range. After about 300 rounds I began to experience FTFs (what I assume to be light-strikes) randomly while firing my SR9. This is the first time I've fired it after removing the magazine disconnect safety. Prior to removing it I had fired 200 rounds through the pistol without any issues.

After clearing the failed rounds I cycled them back through the weapon and had no issues firing them.

When I cleaned my weapon that evening I decided to remove the striker and inspect it, I found what appeared to be brass (or possibly copper) filings behing the breach where the striker passes through into the chamber. I'm assuming that these filings could have prevented the striker from making full contact with the primer on some rounds.

I'm fairly new to pistols, and the SR9, is this something that is known to occur and something I should keep an eye on while cleaning? Could removing the mag disconnect cause additional filing build-up by allowing filings to enter into the striker area through the gap that exists after it's removed. Or could those filings possible be left overs from the manufacturing process?

Thanks for the help! I'm taking the SR9 back to the range tomorrow to test out some Speer 124gr +P I purchased, and will fire some additional test rounds to see if I experience the issue again.

e5usmc4066

Bearcat
Went back to the range this afternoon and fired 150 rounds. No issues with the first 50 Speer 124gr +p, then I had 2 failure to fires while shooting 100rds of Winchester white box.

Could the failure to fires be an ammunition problem? I'm a little torn on what could be the issue here, however 2 failures in 100 is a little abnormal to me.

810wmb

Single-Sixer
all i shoot is wwb in my sr9.

i have never had a ftf or fte

just my 2 cents

jhearne

Buckeye
It's possible some rogue dirt/debris got into the slot, very random occurance, I don't think my gun's been fired with the Mag DC in place and it wasn't cleaned properly until about 1100 rounds.

I shoot WWB, Rem UMC, Blazer Aluminum regularly in it. No misfires or FTF/FTE.

Josh