I Don't Think I like My New P95

Help Support Ruger Forum:

RugerShooter

Bearcat
I picked up my new P95 om Tuesday this week and so far I have put 10 mags thru it. I have used WWB, Hornady PD and Federal HST and I have had at least 2 FTE's with every mag so far. I want to stress "at least" 2 FTE with every mag. I have also had a few casings eject into my forehead. Could this be due to the fact the gun is new, or could there be a problem with the gun? I don't believe it's me due to the fact that I have no problems with my XD. Please help, I want to love this gun.[/b]

TRanger

Blackhawk
Too many people are willing to excuse lousy performance by saying the gun is new and needs a "break-in." A gun should work from the get-go. Something is wrong with it. Send it back.

QB

Single-Sixer
I can't comment on your problem but I'm going to shoot my new P95PR and P89 tomorrow and will be posting the results. I'm not expecting any FTE but will let you know my results.

Hopefully someone on the forum can help you out with your issue.

Leucoandro

Single-Sixer
I would guess that because it is new, the slide return spring is still pretty stiff.

When I put a new slide return spring on my P94, I had the occasional FTE if I did not hold the handgun really solid. It also would eject the casings a very short distance.

With a nicely worn slide return spring, the cases will eject 5+ feet to the right, and you should have no issues with FTE.

You have a couple options. One thing you can do is that you can shoot the gun or try something else to help wear the current spring in. The other thing you can do is buy an aftermarket reduced weight slide return spring.

Charlie

Beergut

Bearcat
I just got back from my buddy's farm where I had a quick chance to shoot my brand new Ruger P95 and it is SWEET. It's my first 9mm and I shot Remington UMC through it and it ate them up and spit them out flawessly. Brand new with a SS slide and priced right from my local dealer. My buddy liked it so much (Glock owner) that he may get one. I also got a HKS mag loader and it is so much nicer than the Ruger provided loader. Yahoo! ;D

RockyTop

Bearcat
I've fired about 450 rounds through my P95 that I bought in March. The first 200+ rounds were flawless. In the next 100 I had 2 FTE's. I went through about another 100 rounds with no problems and then 2 days ago fired about 50 rounds and had 1 FTE. So I've had a total of 3 out of 450 rounds. The first two I was using WWB value pack. The last one, I was using both Remington UMC and Federal American Eagle and I'm not sure which I was shooting when I had the FTE.

Overall I've been pleased with my stainless P95, especially for the price $309. I would be more pleased with 0 FTE's, but 3 out of 450 isn't terrible, I guess.

revhigh

Hawkeye
RugerShooter":296tqfua said:
I picked up my new P95 om Tuesday this week and so far I have put 10 mags thru it. I have used WWB, Hornady PD and Federal HST and I have had at least 2 FTE's with every mag so far. I want to stress "at least" 2 FTE with every mag. I have also had a few casings eject into my forehead. Could this be due to the fact the gun is new, or could there be a problem with the gun? I don't believe it's me due to the fact that I have no problems with my XD. Please help, I want to love this gun.[/b]

I wouldn't go sending it back yet. Try taking a firmer grip on the gun, and shoot a few hundred more rounds. If the gun is held loosely, some of the power that should be used to eject the cases, is used up in gun movement. Try that first, and be consistent in ammo use so you can dtermine what the variables are when it fails.

There's most likely not a thing wrong with that gun.

REV

Titan

Bearcat
With the fact you have had a few casings hit you in the forehead I have to agree with Revhigh. You need to make sure you are keeping a firm grip on it. No matter what gun I've ever shot the only time a casing comes back is from limp wristing it. Which is most likely causing your rfte's. Keep a firm hold and try it some more. Good luck and let us know.

yooper1

Single-Sixer

I am willing to help you out.

It is not worth the trouble to try anything more...

You need to package it up and send it to me and in return I will give you 2 fresh peices of paper with Benjamin Franklin on them....

I will even pay shipping

I am here to help out a fellow gun enthusiast!

:wink:

Titan

Bearcat
yooper1":2nd9v9lu said:

You need to package it up and send it to me and in return I will give you 2 fresh peices of paper with Benjamin Franklin on them....

I will even pay shipping

lmao

Thunderhawk

Single-Sixer
yooper1":11mxqji0 said:

I will even pay shipping

You beat me to it. I was thinking the same thing. My P-95 needs a playmate.

81aggie

Bearcat
yooper1":3i8ag16y said:

I will even pay shipping

:lol:

Probably a lot of "helpful" folks here :wink:

A

Anonymous

Did you give it a good cleaning and lube before you shot it?? if not do so the give it a couple of hundred rounds to "break in". If it still acts up after that then call/send it to Ruger for a fix.
That's what it took with my p95 and don't expect it back for a couple of months or better........that's how long mine took 3-4 months back.

Bigboreshooter

Single-Sixer
Don't send it back yet.

+1 for working on your shooting grip a bit.

AND +1 for giving the gun a little time. I bought a P95 when they first came out and it had a few FTE's in the first couple hundred rounds fired. After that, it ran flawlessly. The P95's are good guns.

QB

Single-Sixer
OK, I finally went to the range today. My PC-9 and P89T performed flawlessly with all brands of range ammo (Winchester, PMC, American Eagle). I shot Winchester Ranger SXT in my P89T and it worked 100% also.

My KP95PR was a different story. It did have 1-2 FTEs with each 15 round mag (I used 10 new Ruger factory mags). I only shot about 100 rounds through it. It did not FTE with the PMC ammo which was sort of a surprise since I always think the PMC ammo is softer shooting ammo than some other brands I use. Maybe the spring is a little too stiff right now because I had the same problem with some SVIs and had to use a lighter recoil spring until the guns were broken in and then the factory spring worked fine. Unfortunately I know it's not "limp wristing".

I like my P89T so much that I'm not going to keep the KP95PR. I bought a P89 SS that's on it's way so the two P89s will be the ones I'll keep. I'll get the FTE issues worked out and sell the KP95 within the next few months because I also want to purchase another PC-9.

RugerShooter

Bearcat
I don't know if this means anything, but I did take it apart and the guide rod and spring just barely have tension when connected to the barell. I don't know exactly how to explain it other than to compare to my XD. When I take that apart, it takes a little strength to remove the spring and barell. On this ruger I barely apply any pressure. It's almost like the rod is to short to reach the part where it "clips into". I know I am using all the wrong words, but please be patient with me, I am still new to this.

Titan

Bearcat
My 1 year old son can remove the guide rod and barrel from both my p95 and p94 if I let him. Not sure about all the mechanics with these guns but from my experience that seems normal.

ab4ka

Single-Sixer
sounds odd...my P95R has been flawless out of the box. So far it's got about 200 rounds thru it. The only thing I've done to it was put some Militec-1 on the barrel. The slide and rails still have the factory grease on them and it's done just fine by me. I couldn't be happier with it.

Blueduck

Bearcat
TRanger":1zrugit5 said:
Too many people are willing to excuse lousy performance by saying the gun is new and needs a "break-in." A gun should work from the get-go. Something is wrong with it. Send it back.

With ammo prices being what they are, "Ah just shoot a few hundred rounds through it and see what happens." is not quite the suggestion it used to be.

QB

Single-Sixer
I'm going to call Ruger and see if they will pay the shipping to send it in. I use an FFL to ship and that will cost me a transfer fee both ways but it would probably cost me that in ammo to keep testing the gun and then I might have to send it in anyway.

UPDATE: just called Ruger this morning and they are going to have a technician call me back. We'll see if I get the callback and what the resolution is.

Thanks for all the comments and information.

Latest posts