LCP Failure to Extract

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Strawberry

Bearcat
I finally found an LCP! I paid list for it also. However the gun will not extract cartridges regularly. It is about a 50% failure rate. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

slippingaway

Blackhawk
A couple quick, simple questions.

Before firing, did you take it apart, clean it, and re-lube it?

What type of ammo were you using?

What exactly is it doing? Cartridges staying fully inside the chamber, "stovepiping" (cartridge gets stuck partway out, looks like a stovepipe sticking up), or something else?

Have you shot a lot of semi-autos before, and do you know how to prevent "limp-wristing" a semi-auto?

They may seem basic, but I'm not trying to imply anything. Just trying to get a feel for your experience level in general, and find a starting point for some trouble shooting.

Welcome to the forum!

gatorhugger

Blackhawk
Strawberry":399deqgv said:
I finally found an LCP! I paid list for it also. However the gun will not extract cartridges regularly. It is about a 50% failure rate. Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks

No. Please provide pictures and maybe we can figure out what's
going on. If you can of course.

Strawberry

Bearcat
Thanks for your input. I am an experienced shooter. that is why this was so frustrating. My gunsmith looked at it and said the chamber was defective causing the rounds to stick. It is on a plane back to Ruger.

slippingaway

Blackhawk
Hopefully they'll turn it around quickly. When I sent mine in for the recall it was exactly one week from when it left my door till it was back. Let us know how it shoots once you get it back.

Strawberry

Bearcat
Yes, it is easy to limp wrist. That is why I asked my gunsmith to try it. He had the same problem so took it apart to have a look. I also have tried several different types of ammo. All worked the same.

So it is in AZ now and I bet I have it back by the weekend. I will let you know how it goes. It is also reassuring that no one else has experienced this. That means it will be fixed. Great little gun when it worked.

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
Not sure limpwristing is much of an issue. I've fired one hand/strong hand/weak hand, no problemo.
My LCP went back for the offcenter firing pin strikes; back in my hands in not much over a week.
Moon

mike7mm08

Buckeye
Mine came back from recall with a new extractor. I had no problems so I don't know why it was replaced. Maybe there was an issue with some of the extractors and they replaced it to prevent problems. So could be you got a pistol with the problem they were trying to prevent in mine.

halfmoonclip

Bearcat
It's my impression that they smoothed and rounded the edges of the extractors; under normal circumstances, the round feeds up BEHIND the extractor, rather than the extractor snapping over the rim.
Moon

Strawberry

Bearcat
Sorry I am so late with the outcome. My Gunsmith said it was a bad barrel. I contacted Ruger and in about a week I had it back with a new barrel. Works like a charm now. Ruger has great customer service!

The gun tears the tar out of my trigger finger though. this is when firing 50 or more rounds. Perfect summer CCW.

Latest posts