Post Recall SR9 Striker Broken

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Grendel

Single-Sixer
Well, while doing some regular dryfire practice today (mag disconnect removed the day I got the gun back from Ruger), the tab that the sear on the trigger bar connects to on the striker body just snapped off today.

brokenstriker1.jpg

brokenstriker2.jpg

Unfortunately, Ruger customer support is closed on the weekends. There is an "emergency" extension, but I'm not sure if that's appropriate.

Definite bummer. I didn't even get to put any live rounds through it since it was returned from recall work.

-JT

Ski

Bearcat
:cry: How many time did you dry fire? Did you use a snap cap? Was there a mag in the pistol? Just wondering...

Grendel

Single-Sixer
I didn't need a mag in the pistol because I removed the mag disconnect as soon as I got it back from the recall work. However, I was using a mag full of dummy rounds.

Up to this point, I had probably dryfired a little over 500 times. It looks like repeated stress from contact with the sear at the front and back of the broken part caused it to break. I e-mailed Ruger via the Web site, but also intend to call them as soon as they open on Monday. I'm going to demand a new striker sent via next day air. It's NOT a fitted part, so I don't need to send the gun back to them. If they'd like, for their own analysis, I'll send them the broken striker, on their dime.

-JT

mekender

Single-Sixer
that isnt caused by dry firing, that was a weak metal... shouldnt be a problem to get it replaced.

Grendel

Single-Sixer
Got my new striker yesterday. I lubed the springs a little with some CLP and popped it in my SR9. The travel and reset still seem as short as before, with the post-recall work. The take-up feels a bit different, maybe a wee bit spongy before it breaks, but it breaks cleanly.

The trigger pull feels considerably lighter. Don't quite know why that is.

So far, so good. My gun club got flooded when Fay came to town, so I won't be taking it to the range for a bit. I'll be dryfiring the hell out of the gun over the weekend, with snap caps. I'm pretty sure I can get the dryfire count up to the number I did when the other striker broke.

-JT