How to dual caliber SR series pistols

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I had a thought about the SR's and I am pleased to say it worked great ! I have a SR9c in 9mm Luger. I thought that the Ruger company would not have much for changes when doing the 40S&W so I got onto Gunbroker and bought a parts kit that had everything for a SR40c except mags and plastic frame. I gambled that the ejector would work or be the same for each caliber. Pleased to say a booming success. All I had to to was put the 40 top onto the 9 and use the appropriate magazine. Point of impact is controlled by the slide, so no issues. Shot 50 rounds of each caliber with both short and high capacity mags and narry a bobble. Worked flawlessly. Now I can have the more powerful 40 or a 9 with a couple extra rounds. All the kit cost me was $148 plus some mags. On GB there was a seller in CT that had THREE high capacity 40's for only $30 plus $12 shipping. That's only $14 per mag. The short ones are available even on eBay as they are 10 or less rounds. I am now a big fan of this pistol as it has the safety trigger as well as a thumb safety. It also has a mag safety that is easy to remove if desired. If it is dry fired much without a mag inserted, it will damage the striker assembly. An idea that others might want to try as it is so easy and inexpensive. Hope this info helps, Neil aka Ruger44fan in Maine.

Neil,
That's good info. One of my main EDC guns is a SR9c and I really like it and it will do everything I want it to do. I also own several other .40 S&W handguns (but no Rugers) and I actually like the round. Being able to swap out the top end and go from one to another caliber is like adding another gun at half the cost

Thanks for the info (now I have to go to Gunbroker)

Where on GB did you find your kit (general area)?

On Gunbroker, go to parts then in sub category go to parts kits. Ebay might even have them. Most of these people DO NOT include magazines; everything except frame and mags. These are guns that are ordered destroyed by the courts and just the parts are left. I got mine from Gunbusters for $134 plus $14 shipping. Mags were super cheap from Hoffman's in Newington, CT. They have lots of mags and on order is only $12 shipping. They have 3 mags for only $30. I got some rifle mags at a deal along with the Rugers and all shipped for $12. Nice to deal with.

5of7

Hunter
Ruger44fan said:
I had a thought about the SR's and I am pleased to say it worked great ! I have a SR9c in 9mm Luger. I thought that the Ruger company would not have much for changes when doing the 40S&W so I got onto Gunbroker and bought a parts kit that had everything for a SR40c except mags and plastic frame. I gambled that the ejector would work or be the same for each caliber. Pleased to say a booming success. All I had to to was put the 40 top onto the 9 and use the appropriate magazine. Point of impact is controlled by the slide, so no issues. Shot 50 rounds of each caliber with both short and high capacity mags and narry a bobble. Worked flawlessly. Now I can have the more powerful 40 or a 9 with a couple extra rounds. All the kit cost me was $148 plus some mags. On GB there was a seller in CT that had THREE high capacity 40's for only $30 plus $12 shipping. That's only $14 per mag. The short ones are available even on eBay as they are 10 or less rounds. I am now a big fan of this pistol as it has the safety trigger as well as a thumb safety. It also has a mag safety that is easy to remove if desired. If it is dry fired much without a mag inserted, it will damage the striker assembly. An idea that others might want to try as it is so easy and inexpensive. Hope this info helps, Neil aka Ruger44fan in Maine.
I did the exact same thing with a EAA Witness compact. I bought it as a 10MM Auto and decided that the cartridge was a little much for the size of this pistol. I bought a barrel in .40 S&W and that was it....for a while. I found that I did need to get magazines for the shorter .40. I still have it and it works flawlessly.