New LCP for the Wife

Help Support Ruger Forum:

red ryder

Single-Sixer
Sportsman's Warehouse in Laramie, WY has a three day grand opening sale on LCP's for $149 with a $20 off coupon given out at the door for a net price of $129. We drove to Laramie (about 40 miles from home on a low traffic Wyoming interstate) to buy one for the wife. She finally agreed to carry when she takes her early morning walk for exercise. We compared the LCP for $149 to the LCP2 for $299. I have read online of the superior sights and the stay open slide on the LCP2. I am honestly puzzled. The LCP will be used for protection only. The wife does have a early gen Glock 19, which she won't carry, claiming it is too large and heavy while walking. Therefore the LCP makes more sense as a small carry gun to her and to me as well. Here's my question, why would a person pay double for an LCP2 when the superior sights would not be used in a close up threatening situation of perhaps 3 to 5 feet? In a situation like described, I doubt a person would have time to look down the sights no matter how good they were. Also puzzling to me is the posts I read regarding the greater accuracy in the LCP2. Neither gun is a target gun and if you can't hit a grown man (I assume a threat while a woman is out for a morning walk would come from a man) at 3-5 feet, you are a really poor shooter.

red ryder said:
...Also puzzling to me is the posts I read regarding the greater accuracy in the LCP2. Neither gun is a target gun and if you can't hit a grown man (I assume a threat while a woman is out for a morning walk would come from a man) at 3-5 feet, you are a really poor shooter.

I've said many times that the sights on my LCR are absolutely unnecessary to me, my wife has now shot hers enough that muscle memory takes over and she's plenty accurate at the distances that she would encounter for the reason she carries.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
That's a great price on an LCP and especially so during the pandemic and civil unrest currently. At that price you can't go wrong with the LCP.

InjunBro

Bearcat
I have a LCP Custom I prefer it to either LCP or LCP2 (better trigger & sights than the LCP & no silly trigger flipper). For defense use the sights don't do anything but do make it possible to head shoot a snake. Nice pocket gun.

hittman

Staff member
Based on my experience with both .... the LCP-II was WELL worth the extra money.

Both my LCPs were total turds in every way. Finally got them so they'd function "ok" if you always used something like Critical Defense (expensive) ammo.

If a person practices .... even 50 rounds a month .... with their carry weapon, the LCP-II is worth the extra money.

red ryder

Single-Sixer
I put 12 rounds through the LCP this morning. The trigger has a long pull, but after a couple of rounds I became familiar with it. It is certainly NOT a target gun. It is for defense when my wife goes for her morning walks. The below target is at 15 feet, about as close as I'd let an attacker near me. I had my wife pull the trigger when I returned from the range. At present she is recovering from rotator cuff surgery. I have never held an LCP2, so I can't compare, but I doubt that it is a target gun, or significantly more effective than the LCP for the purpose this one is intended. As for myself, I will continue to carry my SIG Sauer P365.
HmgvpiR.jpg

hittman

Staff member
If your wife shoots it well, is comfortable and confident with it, and the gun continues to function properly .... nothing else matters.

I still rotate my carry between a G43 and a LCR.

If nothing else the LCP II has a much better trigger. If you want to go way low on the trigger there kits available to decrease the pull even more.

https://www.mcarbo.com/ruger-lcp-2-trigger-spring-kit.aspx

red ryder

Single-Sixer
The LCP will not be used as a target gun. After my wife puts a few magazines of rounds through it, it will only be carried when she is by herself on walks. She loves to go on walks. The extra cost for a LCP-II would be wasted, as the gun will not be fired very often. The trigger pull is insignificant as it will just be a way to avoid an attack while she goes on her early morning walk.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I would never own an LCP II because of the safety flipper on the trigger. The LCP II may have better trigger technically, but of what use is it? As the OP has stated many times, this is not for target or distance use, it is for up close personal encounters.

BDM1

Single-Sixer
SteelBlue said:
I would never own an LCP II because of the safety flipper on the trigger. The LCP II may have better trigger technically, but of what use is it? As the OP has stated many times, this is not for target or distance use, it is for up close personal encounters.
My feelings exactly. Most attacks are from about 7 feet (average). I can't imagine trying to use the front sights at that distance, though i suppose there are some who might! Other guns have better front sights for a reason, using the right tool for the right job. I AM glad that the LCP II is out there, however, that gives some folk another option for their particular needs. Both excellent guns, each with its' own characteristics. Good!

red ryder

Single-Sixer
Thank you, exactly how I feel. My everyday carry gun is a SIG Sauer P365. Why? Because it is small, but has a capacity of 10+1, 12+1 or 15+1 depending which magazine I am using. Plus with a magazine holder on my weak side I can have an extra magazine. You can do the math for how many rounds of ammo I can conveniently carry. If I go to the range I can take my tack driver, a Wilson Combat Classic in 9mm (stopped using .45 ACP years ago when the cost was more than I cared to pay out of my Social Security income). I stopped carrying a 1911 years ago because I was uncomfortable carrying cocked and locked. My feeling is this: the LCP is for an emergency only. Cheyenne is a relative safe town where many people carry a handgun. In fact, a carry permit is not required. Still a senior woman is a good target for a man (or woman) who is in need of a meal, or something else. Would an LCP-II be a better means of defense than an LCP? I doubt it. In fact, a S&W 500 would much more of a deterrent than a small pistol, because of its size. Personally, I wouldn't want to have it as a daily carry gun. Basically, my feeling is that any gun that is not uncomfortable to carry and not difficult to use will allow the carrier to feel a bit safer when walking alone, especially a woman.

Because I receive no notification of response to this thread I will not be aware of any additional posts.

louchia

Single-Sixer
The LCP trigger is heavier than the LCP II because when the slide is racked the hammer remains at a 1/2 cock position. On the II, the hammer is fully cocked. Some say that the LCP is actually a double action. This accounts for the heavier trigger. Some feel that the II is not as safe to carry because of the lighter trigger and no safety.

Even though I'm at that stage in life where price is not the most important factor in choosing a firearm.... I think you did good. You are right, sights are not going to be important... neither is trigger pull... The finest best shooting pistol out there won't do you a bit of good if you don't have it with you when you need it.

I have a gen 1 LCP. I have shot rats at 20 feet, and armadillo at a similar range. Why? Because it was what I had at that moment. I think the sights are just fine, and don't understand all the whining about poor sights/trigger. Shoot it enough to get used to what you have and then use it. I paid $305, back 10-15 years ago.
gramps

For years I have carried a small pocket pistol for conceal carry 365 days a year.
I think I started out with a Jennings 22. Over time I had a Bauer .25 auto, Berreta Tomcat, Keltec P32, Keltec P3AT. When Ruger came out with the LCP, I had to have one. It was actually a sideways move from the Keltec, but it was a Ruger.
2-3 years ago I visited my brother in Florida. We went to a gunshow in Melbourne and wound up buying an LCPII. Later we went to the range and shot his new Ruger....a lot! I really liked the grip, trigger and sights MUCH better than the LCP. I agree that the sights aren't important, but point ability is. That convinced me that I needed an LCPII. Haven't looked back.
All that being said, the LCP will still do the job. To each his own.

You got the LCP at a great price. I have had the original and the LCPII. I much prefer the LCPII for it's trigger. Not so much that it is lighter, but because ny big hands make it hard for me too operate the original. Either of them are great for what they are intended.

RSIno1

Hunter
red ryder said:
The LCP will not be used as a target gun. After my wife puts a few magazines of rounds through it, it will only be carried .....
Pretty much the same here. I had bought my wife a Glock 26 and she didn't like it. She loves her purple LCP though.

Latest posts