Blasphemy ....not a Ruger

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Frame of the gun along with magazine has been redone with CCR's CPII Nickel Boron Nitride finish. Slide is bead blasted. I'm planning to send them a couple more magazines to get this finish on. At least from their web site this looks like a really good way to retard the problem I've had for the last couple of summers with rusting on my carry gun. My Ruger LC9 was the worse.
Here's their description on their web sight:

CPII Plating: http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/information.html

CPII is a true composite plating process. It is an Electroless Nickel / Boron Nitride tank based plating system that incorporates Boron Nitride particles within the matrix of a phosphate system. Benefits include exceptionally low coefficient of friction, superior release and excellent wear resistance. CP II is perfect for applications that require the lubrication of Teflon but need more wear resistance. As wear occurs fresh particles of Boron Nitride are exposed continuing to ensure the lubricating factors though out. CPII also allows longer firing periods between cleaning and makes cleaning of your gun a breeze CPII is a multi facetted plating process that offers outstanding rust and corrosion protection Up to 10 times the protection of other plating such as Nickel/Teflon and Chrome CPII is far from your standard plating it is a true composite plating process that is made possible by the breakthroughs in Nano Technology CPII is also an Eco friendly process. CPII is the color similar to a Bead Blasted Stainless would look CPII will be available for steels. We do not plate anodized alloys.

To probably tell more than I should... I actually bought two pistols two weeks ago... before I bought this one from a fellow member of the Sig Forum ... a while back someone had donated a Sig P230 stainless pistol to the owner of that forum and it was going to be raffled off .... until someone complained and said this was illegal in some states... so the owner backed up and then decided to do an open auction l to members.... Oh and then it was going to this CCR refinishing place to get dressed up before being sent to the 'winners' FFL. I knew there was no way I could afford this pistol for what it should go for... but then on the last night of the bidding I decided to check what it was going for... seemed a little low to me and so I upped the bid a tad.... and went out on the porch to smoke a cigar and have a bourbon .... a while later I came in to go to bed and decided to check again and then up the bid one more time to get the price up. Got up the next morning and to my surprise and bank accounts detriment.... I had actually 'won' the pistol. The first Sig I bought was a used P230 in stainless like this one and I personally think it is the best looking semi-auto ever made. I get in trouble for giving my opinion on Glocks which also in my opinion are ugly compared to one of these:

The Sig P239 came about as close as they could get to one of these... curves is what I'm talking about. Just like a woman, a pistol should have them and not be the shape of a shoe box. Samual Colt knew this too.

Mike J

Hunter
Congratulations on winning the auction. There was a group I used to be very active in that would use an auction & raffle to raise money once a year. Not guns but I wound up buying a lot of stuff I didn't mean to when I tried to up the bid.

Do the guns or magazines you have had rust issues with have blued finishes? Some time back I learned from a member over at The High Road that has now passed that a coat of Johnson's Past Wax can help protect a blued finish from sweat & moisture. It creates a very thin protective barrier. Lately I have been carrying a polymer framed pistol with a salt nitrided finish so I'm not too concerned about it but the wax always worked for me when I carried blued guns.

I've heard about the Johnsons past wax idea before but don't do it. What I've discovered is it also depends on the gun.... my Ruger LC9 actually got pitted on the slide from the Rust pretty quickly.... same with the magazines.... The current Sig P239 I was carrying like I said, the mag release button and the grip screws turned brown but it was not really a serious rust.... same with the spare magazine... light brown coating.... One thing I did do is pretty much soak the leather holsters I use for carry with WD40....

Side note.... I've actually got to go back over to that forum mentioned above and check on two things... I kind of committed to buying another P239 from a member if another member does not get it by today..... also I replied to something the owner of the forum said about me.... he did not like me saying I was just trying to up the bidding... but we have had issues before... seems you can criticize Sig all day long there but if you say anything questionable about a Glock you get put in time out.... same if you criticize the fowl language some members seem to throw out constantly.... So I might have been giving double secret probation again or worse.... I'm kind of to the point I don't care anymore... I've gotten a lot of information from there but there is a point.....

Mike J

Hunter
I've never had an issue there. I honestly can't say a whole lot about Glock as I've never owned one. I have shot a few & they seemed all right. I have been carrying a M&P 2.0. I like it a lot. I still find my self kind of wanting a metal framed Sig but it would just be something to mess around with most likely.

rcmodel was who I saw post that a long time ago. I always enjoyed his posts. He was very knowledgeable.

Seems I got on the radar when I said something negative about Glocks.... have never been able to get off of it.... but that's life.. This right here is in my opinion the best gun forum out there....

Just to plug it... East Coast Gathering in October is a lot of fun.... I bring the soft drinks and water....Contender sets up a fun competition course and everything is real safe.

Mike J

Hunter
I've always wanted to go to one of those. I believe it would be a lot of fun although I would probably really stink at any type of competition. I've never done it. I usually shoot alone or with a family member on private land.

I bounce around different forums. I usually get started on one looking for information about a particular thing & wind up coming back to participate.

Mike J... there is no real competition and it is really a hoot... Contender and his wife do a great job hosting this thing.... as for the course, here is a link to a you tube video of me going through one slowly a few years ago:
(I actually did not miss any of the targets but I failed to shoot at one)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrZ_QK2yShU&feature=youtu.be

Mike J said:
I've always wanted to go to one of those. I believe it would be a lot of fun although I would probably really stink at any type of competition. I've never done it. I usually shoot alone or with a family member on private land...

Contenders range is a private range he opens to us when we have a "Gathering". The course he sets up is a sampling of what you would see at a USPSA or IDPA match. You don't have to shoot it or if you do don't worry about how you do. Tyrone will show you how you can better your shooting skills by shooting these types of courses.

He also has steel targets at several spots for the plinkers (I've seen from .22's to .30 Carbine to .454's used as plinkers). He also has several other spots if you want to just try something out (like the SBR's and suppressors I'll be bringing). Heck I used it one year to sight in my Ruger Precision Rimfire.

If you like to camp out, he has plenty of space right there at the range.

If you decide to stop by, you WILL NOT be disappointed. Lots of great folks, great fun, shooting guns and shooting the bull. You will be welcome like good long time friends not ever like interlopers.

ncvikingfan

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
Seems I got on the radar when I said something negative about Glocks.... have never been able to get off of it.... but that's life.. This right here is in my opinion the best gun forum out there.... .

The moderator there jumped me the day I joined that forum. He had been in an argument with a member and banned the ID for him. The moderator thought that I was the same guy creating a new login. Immediately accused me of being the banned guy. Never received anything remotely close to an apology.

I am still an active member there but do not post much. Too many members with attitudes there. Lots of knowledgeable gun guys but not worth it a lot of the time for me. YMMV

P.S. I love the knowledge here that is provided without attitude.

dfletcher

Blackhawk
blume357 said:
Could not help myself... had to do it... Number 5 in the fold:

New Summer Carry.... the mag. release pin, grip screws and spare magazine keeps turning brown on the standard one....

I have a similar 229 set up but left in factory finish - 357 Sig also, with a 40 S&W barrel for cheap practice shooting. No rail, which I prefer.

I bought the Sig "short reset" set up and got an about 1/32" reset. Parts were machined steel. Bought another set for a friend and they were MIM, not nearly as short reset.

I usually leave the DA/SA semis alone for fear of hearing that dreadful "ping" as something goes flying off never to be found again. I was surprised at how easy the Sig was to fiddle with.

A few months ago I had 4 sig P239's two DA/SA in 9mm and two DAK triggers in 357sig.... to balance that out I decided to switch the trigger groups in two... so I would have the two different trigger systems in both calibers.... only took about 6 hours. I was almost done when that dern spring on the side grip when flying.... ... funny part is the day after the replacement spring arrived I found the lost one.

Should not admit this... but #6 arrived earlier this week...... hopefully I'm done collecting P239s

I'll also point out that I have yet to find another Semi-auto pistol that is easier to do a field break down than the Sig Ps..... just leave the innards alone.

BDM1

Single-Sixer
That is definitely a very nice looking gun. I bet it will shoot.