P89 guide rod question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tercel89

Single-Sixer
On the Ruger P89 , was there a small "nipple" protruding out from where the guide rod meets the barrel lug ? I have an 89 that is flat there in that area. But I ordered another guide rod for the 89 and it has the "nipple". When I assemble it , the guide rod pokes out from the slide.

Went and checked both of mine have the nipple... not sure what is going on with yours..

edit: one of mine originally was a P89x which also has the 30cal luger barrel and spring and originally was a safety decock model... I changed that out to a decock only slide and even have another barrel and recoil spring.. so in all I have four recoil springs and rods and they all have the nipple.

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Here's a possibility...If I remember correctly, there were 2 variations of P89. I think one used a swinging-link (like what is shown in Blume's photos), and the other used a cam-path. If that is true, you may have received the wrong replacement guide rod. Check with RENE Guide for serial number cutoff and verify the difference is what I remembered.

I have a 309-prefix P89 that also has the nipple.

Ted

roylt

Hunter
Later 89s had a flat guide rod with no nipple. The swing link is different on the two 89 models so the nippled guide rod will not work correctly. You can grind the nipple off if you can't find the correct part.

Call Ruger first for all parts is my recommendation.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Ok I have the correct guide rod. I checked the barrel links in my other 89 . My older slide has the diffferent barrel link with a little perch for the nipple and the new 89 has the flat area for the guide rod with no nipple. Thanks everyone !

roylt

Hunter
You can also change the link but this is harder because you need to drive out the pin etc.

Glad you got it fixed up.

Keep the P-guns alive!!

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Did Ruger use the same frame on these two different styles guide rods ? I ask because I was wondering if there needed to be any extra clearance inside the frame ?

roylt

Hunter
When I used to tinker on the P-guns and swap slides etc there was a few times the barrel link would drag etc.

These were mass produced but hand fit. Bound to be issues when swapping things around.

So basically the guide rod isn't the issue but the barrel link.

Hope that helps. Are you having an issue? I mean with a swap or pistol?

Al James

Hunter
TBear77

You are thinking of the P94 not the P89. The P94 was the only P gun produced with both the original design AND the later camblock. Later P94 pistols with the camblock are easily recognized by the polymer square near the slide stop. All of Roy's posts regarding the nipples are correct! :wink:

TBear77

Single-Sixer
Thanks. I remembered both had some change, but my memory isn't what it used to be.

Ted

toysoldier

Hunter
My P90DC has no tit on the recoil guide. A P90 safety slide-barrel assembly I picked up has a tit on the recoil guide, and a notch on the link that it fits in.