Ruger SR 9C reassembly question

Help Support Ruger Forum:

rc1988

Bearcat
Hey guys, I am brand new to the Ruger SR platform. Picked up an SR 9C which I have really been enjoying. I field stripped it cleaned it,and lubed it. Just a quick question when it comes to reassembly. I had the pistol completely reassembled, I released the slide lock and let the slide go in to battery, however, I did forget to move the ejector up. Could I have caused any damage by doing this? Thank you!

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
It is possible to damage it, but not likely. If you can dry fire with a empty mag in the well then you're probably ok. You might want to run a few rounds just to make sure they eject properly. Just don't do that again. :)

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
GunnyGene said:
It is possible to damage it, but not likely. If you can dry fire with a empty mag in the well then you're probably ok. You might want to run a few rounds just to make sure they eject properly. Just don't do that again. :)
Check warning in your manual. Dry firing without a magazine will damage the striker and magazine disconnect if the magazine disconnect is still installed. Best solution is to remove the magazine disconnect permanently. Without the magazine disconnect the SR9c will function like a normal pistol(Glock or Colt 45, for example). Now the pistol will fire with magazine removed and dry firing will not hurt the pistol. Take a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHXND_9-bE

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
rc1988 said:
Hey guys, I am brand new to the Ruger SR platform. Picked up an SR 9C which I have really been enjoying. I field stripped it cleaned it,and lubed it. Just a quick question when it comes to reassembly. I had the pistol completely reassembled, I released the slide lock and let the slide go in to battery, however, I did forget to move the ejector up. Could I have caused any damage by doing this? Thank you!
Absolutely not, the purpose of the ejector going down is to release the sear before you remove the slide. You can push the ejector back with a pencil or simply insert the magazine and it will push the ejector back into place. Be careful not to dry fire this pistol without a magazine in the pistol. See warning in manual.

MountainWalker said:
GunnyGene said:
Check warning in your manual. Dry firing without a magazine will damage the striker and magazine disconnect if the magazine disconnect is still installed. Best solution is to remove the magazine disconnect permanently. Without the magazine disconnect the SR9c will function like a normal pistol(Glock or Colt 45, for example). Now the pistol will fire with magazine removed and dry firing will not hurt the pistol. Take a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dHXND_9-bE

I have no problem with the Magazine disconnect. See no reason to remove it. Besides that is not what the OP is asking. He simply wants to know if it may have damaged the gun. Most likely not. But you have learned a lesson.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
I have no problem with magazine disconnect in general. On the Bersa 380 Thunder it is well thought out and actually disengages the trigger. For years, I owned a Browing Hi-power and just polished the magazine disconnect. The Ruger SRc is a different matter. If you dry snap the SRc with the magazine removed you will damage the magazine disconnect and/or striker in short order. Check page 19 of your manual. If this happens your pistol will fail to fire and must be fixed, usually by a vacation and spa treatment at the Ruger plant in Prescott, AZ. I know this because because I had a SR40c that was damaged and got the free spa treatment. When it came back, the trigger pull was very different but fired every time and still was plenty accurate.

Removal of the magazine disconnect just makes the pistol able to be fired with the magazine removed like most other pistols such as the Glock, Ruger P Series, Sig P Series, or 1911.