Ruger trigger safety

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I have many Ruger revolvers and a few Mark IV pistols. Every time I get close to buying a Ruger semi-auto, the first thing I notice is the trigger safety, and I'm not crazy about the look. I have never shot one. Is this something you just get used to, maybe grows on you, or are there others like myself who would just rather have a nice smooth trigger?

I have the LC9pro that has one of those.... does not get in the way and I'm sure I'm wrong but can't figure out how it does anything at all... I guess if you tried to pull the trigger with just the very tip of your finger it would work...

s4s4u

Hunter
Ya you don't even notice it. And I also don't think it serves much purpose other than making those who build and sell them feel like it does.

Mike J

Hunter
I believe the purpose of the trigger safety is to keep the trigger from being pulled by inertia if the pistol is dropped. I have owned pistols that had the little blade that sticks out & currently own a M&P 2.0 that has a hinged trigger that does the same thing. I honestly don't even notice them when firing. If you want a striker fired auto without the little trigger dingus you might look at Kahr.

gc70

Bearcat
A "trigger safety" is primarily a drop safety.

If you drop a pistol on the back of the slide, the "trigger safety" prevents the trigger from moving, which prevents the weight of the trigger bar from "pulling" the trigger and allowing the gun to fire.

Most people don't notice a trigger safety, although some few people do.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
Mike J said:
If you want a striker fired auto without the little trigger dingus you might look at Kahr.

None of the Sigs have it, that's what I would lean towards in a semi-auto. I already own a Sig P238.

gc70

Bearcat
SteelBlue said:
Mike J said:
If you want a striker fired auto without the little trigger dingus you might look at Kahr.

None of the Sigs have it, that's what I would lean towards in a semi-auto. I already own a Sig P238.
Google "P320 recall" and read all about how P320s would fire when dropped before SIG had a massive recall and modifications.

Hammer-fired pistols like the P238 rarely have a trigger safety.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
I was really considering getting the new Ruger-57, but that trigger safety is turning me toward the FN Five Seven, despite double the price.

s4s4u

Hunter
SteelBlue said:
I was really considering getting the new Ruger-57, but that trigger safety is turning me toward the FN Five Seven, despite double the price.

I was always turned off by trigger safeties, until I got a gun with one (LC9s) and honestly you do not notice it when shooting. If you can get over the asthetics you will enjoy the gun. That said, the 57's seem hard to find.

Mike J

Hunter
I don't know how much you are looking to spend but CDNN has a lot of Certified Pre-Owned Sigs lately. You might want to browse their site if you're looking for a deal.

VictorLouis

Single-Sixer
Mike3 and gc70 nailed it. Oh yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, that 320 recall. I recall when I first was able to fiddle with these in our neck of the woods. There's not WAY I would carry a trigger that short and light, and I am right-leery of those PD's that have adopted it.

Yep, my P320 has one more light and crisp trigger... to much for carry in my opinion.
Same reason I stopped carrying the LC9pro... just too light of a trigger pull to make me feel comfortable over the long haul...
Right now I'm down to a DAK trigger and will probably stick with either that or fall back on DA/SA.

Ron IL

Bearcat
I have had a few with the trigger safety and finally got rid of all of them. They shot well and I don't care what they look like. Most of those plastic guns have them. When I shoot more than a few rounds my trigger finger gets so sore and sometimes a blister. I liked the Sig 320 my grandson let me shoot. My carry gun is a Ruger EC9s. My range guns are Beretta 92X compact and 1911's. My old soft fingers.

SteelBlue

Single-Sixer
My carry gun (concealed) is a Sig P238. Not particularly exciting, but it does the job for me, and does not have the annoying trigger safety. Anything I've handled in a 9mm is physically too large for me to conceal. Others have no problem concealing the larger pistols.

capecuddy

Bearcat
It's a pocket gun with no manual safety (.380 anyway). That trigger safety carries the whole safety load and in a proper holster or carrier that covers the trigger guard, it's all you need. Same philosophy as Glock.

I've read too many stories about Glock accidental discharges.... when someone holstered one of them and something....like the tie strap on a jacket got caught in the trigger guard... maybe it's all just urban myth.... but I think the reality is if you need to use a handgun in a true defensive situation the instant rush of adrenaline is going to make a standard double action 8lb trigger pull feel like about 2lbs....

Now for fun shooting... target,competition or just plain plinking.... that is a different venue... and short light and a crisp break for sure makes a difference....