Contemplating blasphemy

Help Support Ruger Forum:

I'm going to take a serious look at a Springfield Armory XDS (9mm single stack) soon. I have another meeting in St Chas and pass a Rural King store. RK is having a super sale on this pistol equipped w/trigger guard laser.
I've just not liked the feel of the smaller Ruger pistols but haven't had any serious thoughts about re-entering the CCW semi-auto market. With my current working situation, the KP95DC that I carried for years just doesn't fit and the SP101 leaves me wanting a few more rounds and/or faster reloads.
I shot SIL's compact XD double stack and found that while it was OK to shoot, the fat short grip was difficult for me to handle. The XDS has a slightly longer grip which can be increased with the use of longer mags/extensions and is approx 1/3 narrower allowing me better control. The "standard" mag is 7 rounds which gives a 40% increase in on board ammo vs the SP101.
We'll see if the store has one left when I get there this afternoon.

hittman

Staff member
Maybe try on a Glock 43 while you're there.

That little gun surprised me and I shoot it very well. Carry it some too.

s4s4u

Hunter
Mobuck said:
I'm going to take a serious look at a Springfield Armory XDS (9mm single stack) soon. I have another meeting in St Chas and pass a Rural King store. RK is having a super sale on this pistol equipped w/trigger guard laser.
I've just not liked the feel of the smaller Ruger pistols but haven't had any serious thoughts about re-entering the CCW semi-auto market. With my current working situation, the KP95DC that I carried for years just doesn't fit and the SP101 leaves me wanting a few more rounds and/or faster reloads.
I shot SIL's compact XD double stack and found that while it was OK to shoot, the fat short grip was difficult for me to handle. The XDS has a slightly longer grip which can be increased with the use of longer mags/extensions and is approx 1/3 narrower allowing me better control. The "standard" mag is 7 rounds which gives a 40% increase in on board ammo vs the SP101.

Compared one at the local toy store with a few others. Felt good in the hand but the LC9s trigger was far and a way better. Went with the better trigger. Gun has been 100%

Mike J

Hunter
I bought an XD-40 back in 2007 & kept it until last year. I sold it off & replaced it with a S&W M&P 2.0 40 Compact. I decided I wanted something different but I never had any problem with the XD. I believe they are decent guns. I have a Kahr CM9 for my gun for when I can't carry a gun.

Mute point. Stock sold by day 3 and I was there day 5. It was a great deal. The pistol, 5 mags, hard case, and soft storage case PLUS a trigger guard mounted laser---all of for $380.

Mobuck said:
Mute point. Stock sold by day 3 and I was there day 5. It was a great deal. The pistol, 5 mags, hard case, and soft storage case PLUS a trigger guard mounted laser---all of for $380.

Too bad Mobuck.... but I agree with the Glock thoughts... just not a fan even though I know a lot of folks are... I am really not a fan of carrying these striker fired guns.... did carry an LC9 for a while.... with no problems.... I've been a SA/DA kind of guy for years and tried carrying double action only for a while.... now I'm into something kind of like that... DAK. But then I've also stepped up to 357 SIG and that is taking some work to tame.

that was a good deal , but you should try shooting one before you buy , the texture they mold into the grip on the XDS is pretty sharp and to me bites into your hand pretty good ,my LC9s is a lot more fun to shoot , I like my XD and my full size XDm but I'll pass on the XDS

Doug in Alaska

Bearcat
Well, I'm one of those dirty, rotten, Glock loving bas87*ds, Funny thing is, I hated them until I insisted my wife pick her own carry gun. I've always been a 1911 type guy and I couldn't believe she picked that plastic damn thing. I was shooting IDPA at the time and also a range officer. She went through the concealed carry class and got her permit. I then persuaded her to get range officer certified and join me. She did and I spent a lot of time shooting her G27 after watching her shoot with zero malfunctions. Damn it, I now carry a Glock 26 most of the time but have several more Glocks. And yes, I am still a Ruger fan and have more Ruger rifles and revolvers than I care to mention. JMHO

mpalm

Single-Sixer
Doug in Alaska said:
Well, I'm one of those dirty, rotten, Glock loving bas87*ds, Funny thing is, I hated them until I insisted my wife pick her own carry gun. I've always been a 1911 type guy and I couldn't believe she picked that plastic damn thing. I was shooting IDPA at the time and also a range officer. She went through the concealed carry class and got her permit. I then persuaded her to get range officer certified and join me. She did and I spent a lot of time shooting her G27 after watching her shoot with zero malfunctions. Damn it, I now carry a Glock 26 most of the time but have several more Glocks. And yes, I am still a Ruger fan and have more Ruger rifles and revolvers than I care to mention. JMHO
Me too! I love my Rugers and I own more Rugers than any others.......but I have a Glock 26.......and I Love it!
Concealed carry Perfection

It may get even worse. I handled a SCCY yesterday that had that "just right" feel. Grip size, length, and shape all fit well. I'll look at one in a place where they don't have trigger locks on everything. Turns out it's also the cheapest option on the market. I haven't yet checked on holsters that fit properly.

Update: I did handle a SCCY w/o the stupid trigger lock device yesterday and discovered I don't like it at all. Grip is too long front to back(as a result of the rippled "recoil reducing" grip) and as Hickok45 noted, the trigger reach is just too much even though I'm used to a double action revolver.
The Taurus G2C caught my eye and I like it. Just right size grip and trigger reach, 12 shots, overall same size as the SCCY except a bit thicker, and the sights seem a bit better.
The little 9mm is a full 4" shorter overall length vs the 3" SP101. The only thing holding me back is my good feeling for the SP101's Crimson Trace laser grip. In the only instance in which I've drawn the gun, the laser was an immediate deterrent.

s4s4u said:
Mobuck said:

Compared one at the local toy store with a few others. Felt good in the hand but the LC9s trigger was far and a way better. Went with the better trigger. Gun has been 100%

Better? I think you mean you prefered the LC9S trigger. I got rid of my LC9S because of the trigger. Not interested in a Target Pistol trigger for a EDC.

ProfessorWes

Hunter
I like my Beretta fine, and love my Ruger revolvers, but if I'm ever in a position to purchase another centerfire semiauto pistol it will probably be a CZ-75. And probably the CZ-75 D PCR version, at that.

G2C in hand. It feels mostly OK but that trigger action is going to take some getting used to even though I've been using a DA revolver. The size is just what I've been looking for--small enough to be less conspicuous than the SP101 but big enough to grip well for good control and the action spring is strong but not unmanageable. Getting 12 in the mag would be tough w/o a loader.
Hope to shoot it tomorrow