LCP aftermarket take down pin

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tercel89

Single-Sixer
Do any of you LCP owners use an aftermarket take down pin ? The factory ones are supposed to be kinda weak. These aftermarket ones are beefed up and won't shear the head off. One is called A311 and the other is Tandemkross .Any information is appreciated .

Never had a head shear off on mine, either, in hundreds of rounds fired over several years of use. I wasn't aware that there was a problem with the OEM part.

Doug in Alaska

Bearcat
I have a LCP II and haven't had a problem with take down pin shearing yet. I understand what you are talking about after reading reviews and I've looked at the Tandemkross in case I do. It looks like a very good replacement. My LCP II isn't old enough for me to worry about Ruger not being willing to replace the take down pin, in fact they probably would for the life time of my pistol, so I haven't purchased the aftermarket replacement. Good luck with the replacement if decide to go that route.

LAH

Buckeye
gramps said:
I have a first gen LCP that is totally stock. I have NEVER had a problem such as you describe. Good luck.
gramps

Mine is the same thing & while I've only put a little better than 500 though it, no problem yet.

LCP's are notorious for breaking take down pins. I owned 4 of them. (moved on to better quality). They at least need to be changed out on a regular basis. If not buy a after market pin of stainless steel. I use to buy about 4 or 5 at a time along with new recoil springs and change them out on a regular basis. I shoot pocket guns on a regular basis. It is my niche in shooting. 500 rds is when you should start to think about changing out recoil springs and the take down pin. At 1500 rds start to look for cracks in the frame and split rails. These are not high quality pistols. The last thing you want is to send a receiver down range. It happened to me a number of times. Preventive maintenance is crucial for these guns.

Wow!!! I bet you rapid fired your guns til they were HOT? Pocket guns are made to fill the niche of have a gun, when nothing else will, not to use as a target gun. Sheesh! When the KelTec P3AT (LCP PARENT GUN)came out one or two people shot the fool out of them. Yep, they failed too. Good luck!
gramps

gramps said:
Wow!!! I bet you rapid fired your guns til they were HOT? Pocket guns are made to fill the niche of have a gun, when nothing else will, not to use as a target gun. Sheesh! When the KelTec P3AT (LCP PARENT GUN)came out one or two people shot the fool out of them. Yep, they failed too. Good luck!
gramps

That is the type of nonsense you hear on the internet. Reality is that if you are going to carry a gun learn how to shoot it with total confidence. A Pocket gun can be a very, very deadly weapon and very capable firearm. But too many people read the internet and do not put in the training. Do not want to spend the money or time. I have been shooting them on a regular basis for over 10 years. Learned a lot about them along the way. A hand on a gun is the fastest draw. They can be effective at further distances than most people believe and on and on. If you cannot draw and shoot fast shots to the head in 2 secs or under at 10yds then you are not training. All types of training and capability at shorter distances.
I suggest you start here.
Ps, And if you have not already had a broken take down pin, then you either are new to one or just to not get out and train. Over the years, I have seen the same thing way too many times from people that buy a pocket Gun. They to to the range, take their time to get the perfect stance, slowly take aim and slowly squeeze the trigger. Ridiculous. These are not target guns. They are meant for concealment and fast action. And thank you for wishing me luck. But I do not depend on luck, I will choose to get out and train with a good Solid Pocket gun that I know can last thousands of rounds down range. And yes, I train and practice over and over. You Sir, I believe needs the luck.

https://www.luckygunner.com/lounge/wrong-about-pocket-pistols/