Number of Rounds Through Guns

Help Support Ruger Forum:

SamV

Buckeye
I used to try to keep an informal count in my head, after a few years, I realized that it really didn't make a difference. I like to rotate guns on range trips, usually bringing a couple at a time. I keep thinking about learning to reload, but haven't yet, so everything is factory and a little more expensive. Nothing I own probably gets more than 100-200 rounds a year. Concealed carry and guns kept for quick access get more, maybe 200- 300. I realized it would take quite a few years to put a significant round count on most of them. Except maybe for .22 Cal and 12 guage, I will likely be dead before 5000 rounds go through most of them.

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
SamV said:
I keep thinking about learning to reload, but haven't yet, so everything is factory and a little more expensive. Nothing I own probably gets more than 100-200 rounds a year. Concealed carry and guns kept for quick access get more, maybe 200- 300.

If you're thinking about reloading, give it a try. Even at the quantities you fire, you can amortize the price of a single stage press and a modest set of equipment before very long or go the Lee way with scoops for powder charges.

As for the most popular semi auto pistol round, 9mm, you have to get some inexpensive cast slug to make it much less expensive than bulk commercial ammo purchases. But...you can have exactly what you want when you want it. Don

Mike J

Hunter
I only wish I got to shoot enough to have 30,000 rounds through one of my pistols. When I do get to shoot I usually run 100 rounds through the pistol I carry most (a M&P 2.0 40 Compact) & maybe run a few through my gun for when I can't carry a gun (Kahr CM9). I don't really have experience with the SR9c there are a couple of guys over at thehighroad that seem to like them a lot.

I was thinking about it the other day. I don't think I've even run 1000 rounds through the M&P 2.0 I bought last January. I need to shoot more. When you work six days a week and have 3 kids sometimes it is difficult to get time to do what you like. Then you add in soccer & church......

PriseDeFer

Single-Sixer
Henderson defense site:www.ar15.com

Type that into DuckDuckGo and browse the Henderson Defense posts. A Las Vegas range, gun rentals, full auto included, thousands of rounds a day. Shoot the gun Wick shoots, shoot the gun you carry in Call of Duty. They pay the freight and we learn what breaks on which guns and when. Fascinating.

I agree on the logging in.... I only have to do it every couple of days... but still don't see why.. I always click on the keep me logged in box but it seems to only hold for a couple of days.... but then my computer does one of those auto enter password things so it is only like two clicks to log in.... can't quite figure out how the computer geniuses make us create a difficult password then make it simple to just click and enter.....

As for round count.. everybody to their own..... like I said... 50 or 60 rounds through a couple handguns and I'm done for the day.
I did put 650 through one of my P95s over 4 days with out one hiccup....

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
I only count down the rounds in the mag. 17..16..15..14.........1. Time to swap out and start over at 17. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2qL7Xbh03A

Biggfoot44

Blackhawk
The huge numbers of rounds through specific guns are usually not from average private individuals .

Typically rental guns at shooting ranges . They usually require that rental guns only be used with factory ammo purchased from them , so it would be fairly easy for them to track .

Or also LE / Security agencies that used Dedicated Training Guns for training . Again the number of rounds issued and used during a particular session is known , and fairly easy to track .

FWIW , back when Glocks were first introduced , there was widespread speculation as to their long term durability . In conversation with my local indoor range , he reached into the " rental rack" , and handed me a ( obviously first gen , then the only gen ) G17 that had fired over 100K rounds , with zero parts breakage .

At the time , GlockUSA was loaning certain rental ranges pistols free of charge , with the agreement to keep track of round count and problems , and when Glock eventually took them back , would analyze wear patterns .

Glock got high round count beta testing on somebody elses dime. The ranges charged their usual rental fees ( scratching my memory and guessing inflation , but $5-$10 per rental session , but ammo @ usual markup ) . And And lots of shooters got to try out a then innovative pistol that was subject to great interest in the shooting community . Win - Win- Win .

hittman said:
Yep, it's a you problem.

Run all your usual maintenance stuff, clear cookies, delete browsing history, etc.

And yeah ..... I always wondered if those concerned about "round count" really shoot much at all. Questions about round count, appears unfired, and such are just filler.

And then I would have to say, that I wonder how much you actually shoot. Been shooting all my life and belong to three different ranges and one club. Yes, many folks keep track of rounds. I do and for a reason. Learned a long time ago that some guns just do not hold up long with substantial use. I own the ones that do, simply because I shoot very often and a lot of rounds go through my guns. Especially my Carry guns. Some of my carry guns are shot at least weekly, one I want to be as proficient as possible, two I love shooting them, and three, I do not want a cracked frame, split rail or a gun that folds like a weak lawn chair.
I want to know exactly when that recoil spring will need replacement, with the channel will need to be cleaned, how much I am spending, and on and on. The idea of being proficient is diligent practice and that means a lot of rounds. Know your gun like the back of your hand. If you do not have a idea of how many rounds are going through your gun, then you are IMO not paying attention and not shooting enough are care enough. JMO

And Hey, I do not even own a glock. And this goes for pocket pistols as well.

Running rounds through a gun adds up quick. Take a gun you train with and carry all the time. And take a person that shoots often. To me 500 rds is not a lot of rounds in one month. that is 6,000 rds in one year. Last Mid Sept, I finished putting 10,000 rounds through a Beretta Nano. Bought two more and put a APX grip on the old Nano and now about 2,000 rds added to that gun alone.
Simple way to count is just buy a 500 rounds and place in a ammo can for each gun you own. Training ammo, and defense ammo. Can gets empty fill it up. Mark down how many rounds.