RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Fri Jul 03, 2020 12:49 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Ruger SR9
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:47 pm 
Hunter

Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:01 am
Posts: 2097
Location: Leaving California .....
I just bought a Ruger SR9 and am learning about the gun. Not a great fan of plastic guns but I do like fiddling with the ones I buy. In addition to the "Ghost" trigger bar and some Galloway parts I'd like to find a reduced power firing pin spring - can't find anything currently. Does anyone have a source or suggestions?

_________________
dsf

The professed inclination to help mankind is most often used as a false face to control mankind.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ruger SR9
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:46 pm 
Bearcat

Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:40 am
Posts: 45
Location: Saint Peters, Missouri
dfletcher wrote:
I just bought a Ruger SR9 and am learning about the gun. Not a great fan of plastic guns but I do like fiddling with the ones I buy. In addition to the "Ghost" trigger bar and some Galloway parts I'd like to find a reduced power firing pin spring - can't find anything currently. Does anyone have a source or suggestions?


Why would you want a reduced power firing pin spring? All you are going to do is reduce primer ignition reliability.

Unless you're going to carry the gun, I would remove the stupid magazine disconnect.

_________________
The 2nd Amendment is worth defending.
Do not let ignorant anti-gun liberals take our rights away.
http://www.stchman.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ruger SR9
PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:25 pm 
Newly Registered

Joined: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:06 pm
Posts: 4
looking for info about SR9C trigger jobs


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ruger SR9
PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:44 am 
Bearcat

Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 7:54 pm
Posts: 47
stchman wrote:
dfletcher wrote:
I just bought a Ruger SR9 and am learning about the gun. Not a great fan of plastic guns but I do like fiddling with the ones I buy. In addition to the "Ghost" trigger bar and some Galloway parts I'd like to find a reduced power firing pin spring - can't find anything currently. Does anyone have a source or suggestions?


Why would you want a reduced power firing pin spring? All you are going to do is reduce primer ignition reliability.

Unless you're going to carry the gun, I would remove the stupid magazine disconnect.


Gallaway makes a heavy duty striker spring, because some SR9's have suffered from light primer strikes. Do not understand why you would want a lighter spring.
Mag disconnects serve a purpose and in real life not a concern. They are great for beside guns, etc. And many accidents have happened when some one came home from the range, though his gun was empty and fired it, killing himself etc. Just had a Marine kill his child recently. While most of my guns do not have the mag disconnect, they have never bothered me, nor have they been a problem when shooting thousands of rounds through them. I would not remove it.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ruger SR9
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 9:09 am 
Single-Sixer

Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:01 am
Posts: 391
Location: Arkansas
The magazine disconnect does two things. First it prevents a chambered pistol from firing when the magazine is removed. Secondly, it quickly destroys the striker assembly and magazine disconnect parts when the operator dry fires with the magazine withdrawn.

I have no problem with a magazine disconnect, but this one has a design flaw. Removing the magazine disconnect does nothing more than make the pistol a standard configuration like a 1911. Interesting to note that Ruger did not provide a magazine disconnect on new Security 9 pistol.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ruger SR9
PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:53 am 
Bearcat

Joined: Sun May 29, 2011 7:54 pm
Posts: 47
MountainWalker wrote:
The magazine disconnect does two things. First it prevents a chambered pistol from firing when the magazine is removed. Secondly, it quickly destroys the striker assembly and magazine disconnect parts when the operator dry fires with the magazine withdrawn.

I have no problem with a magazine disconnect, but this one has a design flaw. Removing the magazine disconnect does nothing more than make the pistol a standard configuration like a 1911. Interesting to note that Ruger did not provide a magazine disconnect on new Security 9 pistol.


I do not find it interesting that Ruger did not do a lot of things with the Security9. They are not even remotely close to comparison in quality. Unfortunately Ruger has IMO taken a completely different road with their Semi-auto's for EDC's. I doubt you will ever see a quality gun like the SR9C or SR anymore. The Ruger American remains a quality gun, but not for EDC.
The LCP is over rated. Why they have not even gone to a modular unit by now says something about them. And for gosh sake, Start using steel chassis and steel parts in these guns. Put on a decent set of sights and have the ability to add night sights.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ruger SR9
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 6:32 pm 
Hunter

Joined: Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:01 am
Posts: 2097
Location: Leaving California .....
davevabch wrote:
stchman wrote:
dfletcher wrote:
I just bought a Ruger SR9 and am learning about the gun. Not a great fan of plastic guns but I do like fiddling with the ones I buy. In addition to the "Ghost" trigger bar and some Galloway parts I'd like to find a reduced power firing pin spring - can't find anything currently. Does anyone have a source or suggestions?


Why would you want a reduced power firing pin spring? All you are going to do is reduce primer ignition reliability.

Unless you're going to carry the gun, I would remove the stupid magazine disconnect.


Gallaway makes a heavy duty striker spring, because some SR9's have suffered from light primer strikes. Do not understand why you would want a lighter spring.
Mag disconnects serve a purpose and in real life not a concern. They are great for beside guns, etc. And many accidents have happened when some one came home from the range, though his gun was empty and fired it, killing himself etc. Just had a Marine kill his child recently. While most of my guns do not have the mag disconnect, they have never bothered me, nor have they been a problem when shooting thousands of rounds through them. I would not remove it.


I posted the above before I picked up the SR9 and bought some aftermarket parts, such as trigger and bar, metal striker guide rod. The gun has turned out well.

I want a lighter mainspring because I'd like an easier pull. I have M&Ps and XDs with trigger & spring kits, they're better than the SR9. The SR9 is for me a fun gun only and the pull isn't nearly as nice as the XD or M&P turned out. But as mentioned the gun has come out fine so I'm OK as is.

The magazine disconnect, I left it in. I can't see that it has any influence on the trigger pull, unlike my BHPs, so I'll leave it alone.

_________________
dsf

The professed inclination to help mankind is most often used as a false face to control mankind.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Ruger SR9
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:10 pm 
Bearcat

Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:33 pm
Posts: 20
I bought the heavy duty spring from Galloway & it is great. I would not want a lesser spring in my SR9c.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group