45 Super in a P97?

Help Support Ruger Forum:

mac66

Single-Sixer
Though I know it is not recommended I was wondering if the P97 can safety shoot 45 Super... Perhaps with a heavier recoil spring?

45 Super ballistics are impressive. I've read of people doing it, and it wouldn't be for a steady diet of them.

I've had a few run ins with black bears on my property and am looking for a lighter alternative to my 44 mag Redhawk to carry when out and about doing chores. And no, I don't want a 10mm.

rammerjammer

Blackhawk
I'm curious to what the answer will be.

But I'd recommend just stick with the Redhawk. 44 Mag will get the job done.

mac66

Single-Sixer
The argument for the 45 super is that it is what the 45 acp should have evolved into. The 45 acp was developed when powders and metallurgy were suitable for low pressure rounds in pistols. Things have changed in the 117 years since its introduction. Modern materials and powders should be able to handle magnum velocities. Sadly the 45 acp was passed by in the power race.

So while the 44 mag will do the deed, I would like something in a semi auto. I have 5 45acps a 1911, which is the logical candidate, and old S&W 645 which is a beast and I have no doubt would also work, an XD45 which will allegedly work and is high capacity and my P97 which is my favorite carry 45. It is also lighter and thinner.

My fifth 45 is a series 70 colt gold cup which I won't mess with.

mac66

Single-Sixer
What weight recoil spring are you using in your P90 to shoot super?