RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: LC9s barrel issue
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:51 pm 
Single-Sixer

I just purchased a new LC9s and went to clean/lube it today. No real issues until I tried to use my Wilson 9mm chamber brush on the barrel. Normally, this brush goes in with light pressure. You rotate it a few times and withdraw it. But it was extremely tight in the LC9s chamber. When I finally was able to withdraw it, it noticed that the chamber had gotten scratched. I'm not sure whether this will be a problem or not, but I am certainly not happy about it.

I use chamber brushes on my other 9mm and 45 ACP autos and haver never had this happen.
Is the LC9s known for having a tight chamber?

Does anybody know of a company that makes aftermarket barrels for the LC9s?
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: LC9s barrel issue
PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:43 am 
Hawkeye

I have actually found the chambers a bit loose on the 9mm LC9. I don't use stainless steel on steel barrels, but then the LC series are not intended as target guns.

a quick check with a mic will tell you if you have a non-SAAMI chamber.

PC = Political Submission

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:46 am 
Buckeye

Will a cartridge chamber in the barrel? I doubt that your pistol has a chamber so undersized that a brush would be “tight” and damage it. If it did, it wouldn’t accept a cartridge.

I never use a steel brush on any of my guns. Brass or bronze for me. And I remember reading a warning against use of a stainless steel brush on a stainless barrel.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:14 pm 
Bearcat

What artmel said. I have LC9 and EC9. Chambers and barrel clean fine using 9mm brushes and maybe a jag with patch for barrel. Anymore I only use nylon brushes and patch to soak barrel a few minutes in cleaner to get barrel cleaned. If there's leading or something else tougher then bronze/brash brush. Stainless steel on stainless steel not a good idea unless something is REALLY stuck in the barrel and other techniques have failed.