RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:11 pm 
Single-Sixer

I know ya'll may be biased toward Ruger, but I still wanted to know which one of these would you choose. They are both on sale new in box and the same price of $279.99 +tax. I have just enough to get one and I want one of these, I have never owned either and both fit my hand good. The guns are the Smith sd9ve or the ruger sr9. thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:16 pm 
Hawkeye

boomer92266 wrote:
I know ya'll may be biased toward Ruger, but I still wanted to know which one of these would you choose. They are both on sale new in box and the same price of $279.99 +tax. I have just enough to get one and I want one of these, I have never owned either and both fit my hand good. The guns are the Smith sd9ve or the ruger sr9. thanks for any help.

I've owned multiples of both. They both operated perfectly.

My preference is the Ruger, for no tangible reason.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:16 am 
Newly Registered

I have both and have had no problems at all with either. I paid $429 for my SR9 a few years ago and $289 for the sd9ve a couple years ago. $279 is a great price for an SR9 where the sd9ve has always sold for around $300 in my area. I consistently shoot the SR9 more accurately than the sd9ve and not sure exactly why. The sd9ve is a little smaller and feels better in my hand but I shoot the SR9 better. I like both and will likely keep both. Neither is my carry gun, I prefer my PC 9mm Shield for that. Both are decent reliable guns IMO.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:26 am 
Hawkeye

Eenie, meenie, minie, mo. Buy 'em both, ya' know. :mrgreen:

What's the price of magazines for the S&W? Ruger mags are about $58/pair. The SR9 holds 17+1, the Smith 16+1.

We used teeth before the sword.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:07 pm 
Hawkeye

WAYNO wrote:
I've owned multiples of both. They both operated perfectly.

My preference is the Ruger, for no tangible reason.

I'm with Wayno. I've owned multiples of both and still do. On the one hand my preference is for the Ruger, but I mostly carry the S&W. I do have to say that $279.99 + tax is an EXCELLENT price on the SR9. A few places have the S&W SD9VE at $269.99, but you'd be hard pressed, to find a better deal on the SR9.

Responding to Gunny the mags for the S&W are consistently less expensive.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:15 pm 
Single-Sixer

my store just emailed me, they now have the new sr9c in for the same price of $279. now i sure can't decide, darn it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:12 pm 
Hawkeye

IMO, I think you have to actually handle them to decide. What feels good and points good for you.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:26 am 
Blackhawk

The SR9 has a far superior trigger.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:06 pm 
Single-Sixer

Ruger has stop making the SR pistols that is why you see the great price. I had a SR9c break a striker.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:26 pm 
Bearcat

Ruger SR9/SR9c/9E Magazine 9mm 17Rd Value 2-Pack 90449 UPC: 736676904495

Gun.Deals lists 42 retailers selling the 2-Pack of 17-round SR9 magazines for $34-$40.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:22 am 
Blackhawk

I would say they are both good and both work great. But my preference would be the Ruger. S&W has a lifetime service on their guns but what I find is that Ruger really is customer oriented far beyond S&W and will take care of you for the life of the gun. Great Customer service if ever needed. Which you probably will never need.