Discontinued SR series.

Help Support Ruger Forum:

jasper661

Bearcat
I have been buying Rugers for the last 50+ years, I have seen a lot of models come and go over that period of time. As with any other company Ruger's motivation is sales. Most recently they discontinued the SR series guns. In my opinion a bad decision, the SR series guns, were durable, reliable, very easy to carry and came in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45ACP. It appears that they were replaced by the Security 9, presently only available in 9mm, and with lower capacity than the SR series, and with Glock plastic sights.

Perhaps I am just old, but change is not always for the best, I have several 9mm guns of various makes and my Ruger SR (9e) 9mm is my favourite.

I had an American and just never liked it as much as the 9E.

Just my two cents..

hittman

Staff member
Same thing was said about the P-series when it was phased out too.

Another few years and the Security Series will be history too.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
jasper661 said:
I have been buying Rugers for the last 50+ years, I have seen a lot of models come and go over that period of time. As with any other company Ruger's motivation is sales. Most recently they discontinued the SR series guns. In my opinion a bad decision, the SR series guns, were durable, reliable, very easy to carry and came in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45ACP. It appears that they were replaced by the Security 9, presently only available in 9mm, and with lower capacity than the SR series, and with Glock plastic sights.

Perhaps I am just old, but change is not always for the best, I have several 9mm guns of various makes and my Ruger SR (9e) 9mm is my favourite.

I had an American and just never liked it as much as the 9E.

Just my two cents..

I also have a 9e, that's a regular carry piece. Don't see any reason to replace it with the latest whizbang.

any ruger

Blackhawk
Have owned 4 arm's two 9 and 2 45 gave one of each to each of my boys . I replaced them I think the sr was a fine gun. I carry the 9 daily it has never missed a beat.

Armybrat

Buckeye
Gave my early SR9 to my oldest son several years ago and replaced it with an SR45, which is my nightstand HD gun. Both were excellent values and very good quality.
The newer series models do not appeal to me at all.

exavid

Hunter
I've had the SR9 and have a SR40C. Both were nice guns but the SR40 turned out to be a keeper. Last week in bullseye practice I managed to shoot an 85/100 on one target using iron sights on mine. That was with the nine shot magazine which makes for a short grip. It's just a very nice little pistol, the .40S&W doesn't feel snappy or nasty which is surprising in such a small gun. Good carry gun, good target pistol, it's never had a single problem. I'll still have this one until I can't shoot anything.

WestTex

Single-Sixer
Just my opinion, but I think the SR series was better than American and Security models.

IF they had taken the obnoxiously oversized LCI off the SR. I can live with the thumb safety, and even mag disconnect (although would have preferred it gone). But, to me, the SR felt better and was way more aesthetically pleasing than latest 2 offerings from Ruger.

hittman

Staff member
FergusonTO35 said:
I gave up on Ruger bottom feeders years ago. I look at them as primarily a wheelgun and rimfire maker nowadays.

Me too ..... with exception of the 1911's they churn out.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
WestTex said:
Just my opinion, but I think the SR series was better than American and Security models.

IF they had taken the obnoxiously oversized LCI off the SR. I can live with the thumb safety, and even mag disconnect (although would have preferred it gone). But, to me, the SR felt better and was way more aesthetically pleasing than latest 2 offerings from Ruger.

They did take the LCI off. Along with some minor cosmetic changes. It's called SR9e. Internals are identical.

For those who have a 9e, or other Ruger semi's, a few performance parts are available from Galloway Precision. I put their 20lb spring and guide rod in my 9e a few years ago.

https://gallowayprecision.com/ruger/

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Bull Barrel said:
Iirc didn't the SR series have teething problems at first?
If so, that probably gave that series a bad reputation and non Ruger fans swore off them which caused poor sales.
Pure speculation on my part.

Might have. Most new designs do have some minor issues. If it did, they either fixed them or I just got lucky. Never had problem one on my 9e, but I didn't care much for the 9e slide serrations. Couldn't get a good grip on them, so did my usual redneck improvements. :wink:

With the exception of the Security Nine, I've owned multiples of all the previous plastic pistols.

Other than some features that I either like or dislike on any of the models, I have found no real differences in the operation of any of them. They have all operated as intended, and they've all performed very well.

I suppose that's the marketing ploy of Ruger and others. If they made only one model, and once a person owned that model, there'd be little reason to replace it and/or buy another. So, they discontinue a model, create another model, and hope the buying public will flock to the new release, as somehow it will be better.

jasper661

Bearcat
WAYNO

"I suppose that's the marketing ploy of Ruger and others. If they made only one model, and once a person owned that model, there'd be little reason to replace it and/or buy another. So, they discontinue a model, create another model, and hope the buying public will flock to the new release, as somehow it will be better."

Probably you are pretty close to the mark there.

I carry my 9E daily, I live in the mountains and have a lot of interactions with large predators, I had a problem with a bear earlier this week and had to shoot the bear, the 9E did the job nicely.

exavid

Hunter
I like to see Ruger bring out new guns. I like the fun of getting a new and slightly different firearm. If I really like one I won't sell or trade it off anyway.

FergusonTO35

Hunter
jasper661 said:
WAYNO

"I suppose that's the marketing ploy of Ruger and others. If they made only one model, and once a person owned that model, there'd be little reason to replace it and/or buy another. So, they discontinue a model, create another model, and hope the buying public will flock to the new release, as somehow it will be better."

Probably you are pretty close to the mark there.

I carry my 9E daily, I live in the mountains and have a lot of interactions with large predators, I had a problem with a bear earlier this week and had to shoot the bear, the 9E did the job nicely.

But dude, you didn't use a .454 or .475!! Don't you know that any less of a firearm has zero effect on a bear whatsoever? Least that's what the gun rags say.

exavid

Hunter
Having spent many years in bush Alaska I can vouch for the fact that anything short of an RPG feels too small if you face one of the larger type bruins. A good polar bear hide can run ten square, that's ten feet across from left paw to right paw and the same from nose to base of the tail. A Kodiak is somewhat larger. Take a look at some of these Alaskan denizens, they are unusually large for their breed but there's more like 'em out there.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/gallery-humongous-really-really-big-kodiak-bears-pics/

Stolivar

Bearcat
If you go to ruger site you will notice that the SR is in deed back on ruger.com

Steve

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Stolivar said:
If you go to ruger site you will notice that the SR is in deed back on ruger.com

Steve

Only as Distributor Exclusive from Sports South https://www.theshootingwarehouse.com/ . Which you can't order from unless you're a dealer.

Gunny, "Only as Distributor Exclusive from Sports South https://www.theshootingwarehouse.com/ . Which you can't order from unless you're a dealer."

Unless you know an FFL that you can work with and will accept guns for you. I try to always have one or two alternatives to ship guns to. The last one, we've gotten to be very good friends. Win/Win.