RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:36 pm 
Hunter

jasper661 wrote:
WAYNO

"I suppose that's the marketing ploy of Ruger and others. If they made only one model, and once a person owned that model, there'd be little reason to replace it and/or buy another. So, they discontinue a model, create another model, and hope the buying public will flock to the new release, as somehow it will be better."

Probably you are pretty close to the mark there.

I carry my 9E daily, I live in the mountains and have a lot of interactions with large predators, I had a problem with a bear earlier this week and had to shoot the bear, the 9E did the job nicely.

But dude, you didn't use a .454 or .475!! Don't you know that any less of a firearm has zero effect on a bear whatsoever? Least that's what the gun rags say.

"It ain't who shoots first and it ain't who shoots most; it's who HITS first. A corollary - the sooner you kill that SOB, the sooner he'll quit shooting at you. The ability to hit what you're shooting at trumps all others, and hanging 47 accessories from a cheese-grater forearm and having a 30 round magazine won't help that - practice will." -Rugerforum.com member WWB

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:59 pm 
Hawkeye

Having spent many years in bush Alaska I can vouch for the fact that anything short of an RPG feels too small if you face one of the larger type bruins. A good polar bear hide can run ten square, that's ten feet across from left paw to right paw and the same from nose to base of the tail. A Kodiak is somewhat larger. Take a look at some of these Alaskan denizens, they are unusually large for their breed but there's more like 'em out there.

https://www.wideopenspaces.com/gallery- ... ears-pics/

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:26 am 
Newly Registered

If you go to ruger site you will notice that the SR is in deed back on ruger.com

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:55 am 
Hawkeye

Stolivar wrote:
If you go to ruger site you will notice that the SR is in deed back on ruger.com

Steve

Only as Distributor Exclusive from Sports South https://www.theshootingwarehouse.com/ . Which you can't order from unless you're a dealer.

We used teeth before the sword.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:32 pm 
Hawkeye

Gunny, "Only as Distributor Exclusive from Sports South https://www.theshootingwarehouse.com/ . Which you can't order from unless you're a dealer."

Unless you know an FFL that you can work with and will accept guns for you. I try to always have one or two alternatives to ship guns to. The last one, we've gotten to be very good friends. Win/Win.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:39 pm 
Hawkeye

Bear Paw Jack wrote:
Gunny, "Only as Distributor Exclusive from Sports South https://www.theshootingwarehouse.com/ . Which you can't order from unless you're a dealer."

Unless you know an FFL that you can work with and will accept guns for you. I try to always have one or two alternatives to ship guns to. The last one, we've gotten to be very good friends. Win/Win.

There is that. I've done it a couple times. :)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:50 pm 
Blackhawk

You have to log in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:22 am 
Bearcat

I just checked the Ruger web page and the SR guns are back, a good idea in my opinion. The Glock 19X and the Model 45, are "pale" examples of the Ruger SR series.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:31 am 
Hunter

Well, I'm happy to see they are back and hope they become a regular item not exclusive to a particular distributor again. I have a suspicion that Ruger realizes that the market just isn't going to embrace the RAP, even as a second tier (meaning, not Glock/M&P/XD) offering. On the other hand, the SR's always sold really well around here and Ruger has gotten most of the bugs out of them.

"It ain't who shoots first and it ain't who shoots most; it's who HITS first. A corollary - the sooner you kill that SOB, the sooner he'll quit shooting at you. The ability to hit what you're shooting at trumps all others, and hanging 47 accessories from a cheese-grater forearm and having a 30 round magazine won't help that - practice will." -Rugerforum.com member WWB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:35 am 
Hunter

Glad to hear they are back. My wife has an SR9 and loves it. Fun gun to shoot.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:57 am 
Hawkeye

Taterman wrote:
Glad to hear they are back. My wife has an SR9 and loves it. Fun gun to shoot.

A lot of people really hated that popup chambered round thingie. Totally useless complication. Which is a major reason why I and other people bought the 9e instead of the standard SR9. Don't know if they ditched that on the distributor guns, but they should if they haven't.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:05 pm 
Newly Registered

Quote:
"I suppose that's the marketing ploy of Ruger and others. If they made only one model, and once a person owned that model, there'd be little reason to replace it and/or buy another. So, they discontinue a model, create another model, and hope the buying public will flock to the new release, as somehow it will be better."

Exactly what Harley Davidson does, and Apple, and Microsoft, and... 8)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:17 pm 
Hunter

GunnyGene wrote:

A lot of people really hated that popup chambered round thingie. Totally useless complication. Which is a major reason why I and other people bought the 9e instead of the standard SR9. Don't know if they ditched that on the distributor guns, but they should if they haven't.

I agree, it's useless.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:01 pm 
Single-Sixer

All Ruger guns are sold through distributors. Ruger will cut production on certain guns if distributor orders aren't enough to keep the lines running. They've done so in the past with the Ruger Redhawk and a few other models. When demand increases they will make another run or two or more. I suspect that's what happened with the SR series, just a momentary suspension of production.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:48 pm 
Buckeye

I am glad they are back , I have an sr9 and am thinking of getting an sr45.