P-Series help please !!!!

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tercel89

Single-Sixer
I'm looking at an early P89 and on the left side , there's the part that rises just above the frame between the side . When the part is down , the trigger is "dead" and when it's up the trigger works. I think it is the trigger bar. Well on this older P89 this part sometimes sticks downwards and doesn't come up. Seems like the spring is weak or the part is coated with older oil and makes it stick. This pistol is in a pawn shop and I've been looking at buying it for 4 weeks now. They wont let me take it apart to check it. What do you guys think it is based on my observation ? Thanks for any help !

black1970

Blackhawk
Any pawn shop that sells firearms should make sure their inventory (guns) work properly and are in good mechanical order. Go somewhere else and buy a P model that is in good shape. They are not too hard to find. Bought my last one last summer at a flea market. KP94 9mm and looked new in the box with all for 375 OTD.

hittman

Staff member
Look elsewhere for any P series gun.

Yeah they're built like tanks but still they're cheap and plentiful.

Put a WTB ad in the Classifieds here. You should be able to get a shooter grade in the $250 range.

roylt

Hunter
I think I answered you in another post but maybe this is different.

Use the issue to get the price lower and then clean it when you get it home. It will run fine.

Keep the P-guns alive!!

Year's ago I bought a Sig P230 at a gun show... took it home and broke it down and the internals looked like they had a coat of lacquer on them.... this was some kind of lube someone had put on years ago that semi-hardened.... I suspect that if I had tried to shoot it with out a good cleaning and it would have jammed like crazy...
seems some folks don't believe in cleaning and lubing ..... which now that I think about it, I got something I need to do today after church.

PAVTXER

Single-Sixer
Safety or Decocker ?

I have a few P Series in the stainless flavor. I have not shot them much, one or two have never been shot. Some are DC decockers only with that left lever and the others are Safety models.

toysoldier

Hunter
If you can get it cheap, buy it and clean it. If there is a parts issue, you can get a "parts kit" that consists of everything but the frame, from a "crime gun" that was "destroyed."

stchman

Bearcat
tercel89 said:
I'm looking at an early P89 and on the left side , there's the part that rises just above the frame between the side . When the part is down , the trigger is "dead" and when it's up the trigger works. I think it is the trigger bar. Well on this older P89 this part sometimes sticks downwards and doesn't come up. Seems like the spring is weak or the part is coated with older oil and makes it stick. This pistol is in a pawn shop and I've been looking at buying it for 4 weeks now. They wont let me take it apart to check it. What do you guys think it is based on my observation ? Thanks for any help !

So the pawn shop won't let you field strip the gun? If no, then don't buy it from them. Sounds like they are trying to hide something.

Kind of wonder why the gun has been sitting on their shelf for 4 weeks. I would offer them 50% of what they want if you really want the gun.

Latest posts