P89 owners I have a question on EARLY 89's

Help Support Ruger Forum:

tercel89

Single-Sixer
I am looking at an early P89 with a serial prefix of 300. It has single-sided decocker. IT is in "ok" shape. I noticed that the slide has a screw type thing on top in front of the rear sight unlike the later model being on top of the rear sight. The slide also has a pin going through it on the side near the rear that I don't see on my newer P89. Were there any problems with these early P89's ?

I don't think so but be advised that they used a different magazine.... the reality is that the only difference is where the hole to latch the magazine is located.... if memory serves the notch hole is just slightly lower or higher... I can't remember which but the solution is to actually take about 2,000th of an inch off of the top of the latching pin... at least it worked for me.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
blume357 said:
I don't think so but be advised that they used a different magazine.... the reality is that the only difference is where the hole to latch the magazine is located.... if memory serves the notch hole is just slightly lower or higher... I can't remember which but the solution is to actually take about 2,000th of an inch off of the top of the latching pin... at least it worked for me.

Thanks buddy ! I brought my Mec-gar magazine with me and it fit and seated fine. I just am confused about the slide pin on the rear side of the slide and the screw on top near the rear sight. Not on the sight but in front of it. Very different than the normal P89.

tercel89

Single-Sixer
One other thing I noticed was that when I used the decocker , the long piece of metal that the decocker pushes down will go down but when released , this long metal part will take a second or two to pop back up. Seems it's the part that makes the trigger safe or "dead" when the decocker is pushed. I hope its just old crud and crap holding it down . hopefully some cleaner will loosen it up. It's the part on the rear of the frame on the left side.

roylt

Hunter
Early 89s were made like the 85s.
What you are talking about is all normal except the trigger bar is not working 100% as it should.

Probably crud like you suggest. In my experience the trigger bar will pop into place as required as the trigger is pulled. Should function fine.

Keep the P-Guns alive!!!