RUGER® AR-556® PISTOL

Help Support Ruger Forum:

grobin

Blackhawk
For the tacticool mall ninja. Really not sure what it's good for. Too large to use as a machine pistol (the Scorpion EVO 3 is less powerful but as a machine pistol more useful). I would not really consider this a subgun. It definitely would not be on my list for home defense-but it will look great at the range.

The really odd thing about these rifle caliber pistols is that one can put a 'brace' on them to steady your shooting and it sure looks like it makes them a short barreled rifle to me... but somehow that is okay.

s4s4u

Hunter
Not a fan of short barrel 223/5.56 guns, but did build an Endomag "pistol" in 9mm with a matching 22LR upper. The SBA3 brace in the last hole shoulders like a proper stock and provides about a 12-3/4" LOP which puts the nose on the charging handle. It is an SBR without the stamp.
c4nwlRg.jpg

Busterswoodshop

Buckeye
I have one.
I got it because I am down by the border by myself quite often and wanted something I could carry in my vehicle that was easy to move around.
I put an Aimpoint red dot on it and it shoots very good. I have shot it out to 200 yards.
So far it will shoot any ammo I put in it with no problems at all.
It not only shoots good , it handles very good and is fun to shoot.
The only draw back is that it is very loud.

s4s4u

Hunter
Another advantage to an AR "pistol" is that is legally a pistol so if you have a permit to carry.....

grobin

Blackhawk
I see Busterswoodshop point and using the AR pistol as a car gun under some circumstances.

s4s4u said:
Another advantage to an AR "pistol" is that is legally a pistol so if you have a permit to carry.....

Here I can't agree. AFAIK there is no practical retention holster for these so open carry is out! (Too likely for someone to come along go "Dam I've always wanted one of those..." grab it and take off! ). Yes a sling could help, but it's going to be awkward (sit in a car anyone?). Also it's sure to upset the hoplophobes and they'll complain. BTW there are states, and some cities, including SC and Denver that prohibit open carry! Carrying one concealed is plain silly-unless you don't mind looking like a trench coat hero.

mac66

Single-Sixer
grobin said:
I see Busterswoodshop point and using the AR pistol as a car gun under some circumstances.

s4s4u said:

Here I can't agree. AFAIK there is no practical retention holster for these so open carry is out! (Too likely for someone to come along go "Dam I've always wanted one of those..." grab it and take off! ). Yes a sling could help, but it's going to be awkward (sit in a car anyone?). Also it's sure to upset the hoplophobes and they'll complain. BTW there are states, and some cities, including SC and Denver that prohibit open carry! Carrying one concealed is plain silly-unless you don't mind looking like a trench coat hero.

You could carry it in a discrete case. Tennis anyone?

s4s4u

Hunter
mac66 said:
grobin said:

s4s4u said:

You could carry it in a discrete case. Tennis anyone?

There ya go ;-)

I've used a tennis racquet cover many a time to carry one of my 16" barrel with folding stock rifles in. Tends to not freak out the folks in a hotel lobby nearly as much as the standard black nylon ones with multiple magazine pouches.

I've been considering a way to add range and power in a vehicle friendly package that doesn't scream "rifle" when laying on a hotel luggage cart. I'm currently trying to decide if I go with one of the 5.56 or 300 AAC "pistols" I already have or start anew with a 9mm 10.5-11" barrel. Cost wise, it would be far cheaper to use one of the suppressors I already have on a short barrel upper I already have and call it good.
The downside is those suppressors are relatively heavy(and expensive should something "happen" to them) and there's still a significant amount of blast even with a good can.
With a 9mm, I can "Form 1" a relatively light and effective muffler for around $60 plus the stamp and have both quiet and terminal performance in the end using sub-sonic 147 grain ammo. For that matter, even an open muzzle 10.5" 9mm is going to be less loud than a 4" 9mm handgun anyway.