LCP II mag prioblems

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Wheeljack

Bearcat
I think I fixed the problems, but wondered if it was just me or did others had the same trouble.
The last round in one of my mags would not load. It got stuck and I had to hit the slide to force it to chamber. It seemed the follower was rough and not as smooth as my other mags. I sprayed the follower with a little Teflon and it seemed to work. I though that was a temporary fix, so I bought another mag. Now with this new mag, the follower looked much better but it was VERY hard to load the last, 6th, round in the mag.
After a lot of trouble finding the problem, it seemed to be in the piece that fits into the bottom of the spring (mag insert) and is under the floor plate. Right in the middle of the piece was a small extension in the middle of the insert, about a 1/4 in high. I clipped it off a little and things were fine.
All the mags were made in Italy but the one with the bad follower had 'made in Italy' running vertically. My other 3 mags look identical with 'made in Italy' running horizontally, except that one had to have the spring mag insert clipped a little to fit in the 6th bullet.
Anyone else?

louchia

Single-Sixer
Not quite clear. Do you have a pic showing the "small extension" that you cut off?

Wheeljack

Bearcat
I'm not good with pictures. Sorry. But, when you take the mag apart, remove the floor plate. To slide the floor plate off you have to push the the mag insert thru that little hole in the floor plate. What your pushing is the bottom of the mag insert. So, slide the floor plate off and you have the mag insert. On the top side of the mag insert I have a piece of it sticking up. It was about a 1/4 in high and so I cut it off to 1/8in. Put the mag back together and I could load the 6th round with no trouble.
With my fail to load the last round, I think it was a follower that was as rough as sandpaper. The good mags had hard smooth followers.
Hope this helps.