EC9s & shot shells

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
I live in the Blue Ridge mountains. I seldom go outside unarmed. Not all that concerned with 2 footed critters, but we do have a number of 4 footed buggers. And of course, there are a few things that slither, like copperheads and rattlers. For over 10 years, I have generally had a Colt Agent .38 special in my pocket. About 6 months ago, I started reading up on the 9mm pocket sized autos and bought a Ruger EC9s.

Now, I have always carried extra ammo. When I carry my S&W M625, I have an extra full moon clip. When I carry the Agent, I have a speed loader. When I go to town, the extra ammo is hollow point. Here on my property, the extra ammo is a mixture of either HPs and shot shells, or semi-wad cutter lead rounds and shot shells. I picked up some Speer 9mm shot shells. Yesterday, I went outside and tried them out. I had a old drink can, full, and set it at 10'. I loaded my magazine with one shot shell, one FMJ and then one shot shell. I chambered a round and fired at the can, which squirted me on the leg. :) There were several pellet holes in the can. The FMJ chambered fine. I shot the can and hit it. The second shot shell chambered fine. I fired again, hitting the can with pellets.

I'll now carry my extra mag around the property loaded with 2 shot shells over 5 FMJ cartridges.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
recumbent said:
I'm surprised the shot shells cycled the action enough to chamber the next round.

That was what I was concerned about also. I figured I should try it before I encountered "Mr No-shoulders" out in the wild. :)

recumbent said:
I'm surprised the shot shells cycled the action enough to chamber the next round.
Yep, me too. I had an 4506 that wouldn't cycle with shot shells. My Ruger Mark ll won't cycle with shot shells either. You have a keeper! 8)
gramps

We discussed this a while back, I have an LC9, the pre-EC9, and was also surprised that it would actually cycle shot shells but it did at least on the couple I shot through it as a test. My P95s would not.

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
I have had experience with CCI shot shells in 9mm, .40 S&W, 45ACP and 45 Colt.

The 9mm won't cycle my Ruger SR9c. The 40 & 45ACP cycled in Glocks and of course no issue with the .45 Colt in a revolver.

For the moderators AGAIN (second time in 2 or 3 days), how about fixing the program so I don't have to log in everytime? Don