LC9, Orginal Hammer Fired

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Yesterday, I took my LC9 to our local range. This gun shot well enough to start me thinking. This original hammer fired LC9 is a pretty close copy of the KelTec PF-9. When Ruger copied, they improved the pistol quite a bit. The Double Action Only(DAO) trigger is substantially better than the KelTec parent gun or even a Smith & Wesson Snubby. With practice that long trigger pull can be mastered during slow and rapid fire. This was readily apparent during gun reviews in the first two years of production. That long trigger pull provides a substantial level of safety in a carry weapon and that is why both manufactures made the DAO trigger a feature of the gun. Ruger quickly succumbed to the customer demands for a Glock like trigger and the LC9s was born. Now, I have several Glock weapons and they are king for IDPA competition, but please, there is a world beyond the striker. The thin, lightweight LC9, with it's superb DOA trigger seems to me to be a better choice for personal protection carry. I think our opinions are largely influenced by our experience and what we are familiar with. I believe the DAO LC9 is still supported by Ruger since they still catalog the LC380.

Rugeraz

Bearcat
MountainWalker said:
Yesterday, I took my LC9 to our local range. This gun shot well enough to start me thinking. This original hammer fired LC9 is a pretty close copy of the KelTec PF-9. When Ruger copied, they improved the pistol quite a bit. The Double Action Only(DAO) trigger is substantially better than the KelTec parent gun or even a Smith & Wesson Snubby. With practice that long trigger pull can be mastered during slow and rapid fire. This was readily apparent during gun reviews in the first two years of production. That long trigger pull provides a substantial level of safety in a carry weapon and that is why both manufactures made the DAO trigger a feature of the gun. Ruger quickly succumbed to the customer demands for a Glock like trigger and the LC9s was born. Now, I have several Glock weapons and they are king for IDPA competition, but please, there is a world beyond the striker. The thin, lightweight LC9, with it's superb DOA trigger seems to me to be a better choice for personal protection carry. I think our opinions are largely influenced by our experience and what we are familiar with. I believe the DAO LC9 is still supported by Ruger since they still catalog the LC380.
I agree. My wife still carries her LC9 daily. I recently started carrying my EC9s. They are both excellent EDC pistols.

Slyk Willy

Single-Sixer
Totally agree. My LC9 has seen thousands of rounds and continues to perform as it's supposed to. As my EDC, I make it a point to shoot it often. Long trigger is no issue for me.

hittman

Staff member
The original LC9's long trigger pull was never a problem for me but ..... I'm mostly a revolver guy. What turned me off of the LC9 and LC9s and LCP I owned was their lack of reliability. No confidence in them at all .... certainly not for concealed carry and not even fun for range plinking.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Hittman: I hear you, reliability is a must. I have two LC9 pistols and have fired a case of ammo (500) or more through each gun without a single malfunction. Military reliability standard is one failure per 400 rounds. Almost all of what I used was/is high quality FMJ, no Steel case . Mostly Federal FMJ and occasionally Hornday and Speer defense ammo. Your LC9 may have had a defect, often the factory can correct those issues. Another potential problem is defective magazines.

I got started Shooting with S&W revolvers, so the LC9 was easy since it's trigger is better than most stock revolvers. The pull is long but pretty light and there is almost no overtravel after the break. It's no 1911, but quite serviceable.