RugerForum.com

This is a Ruger Firearms enthusiast's forum, but it is in no way affiliated with, nor does it represent Sturm Ruger & Company Inc. of Southport, CT.
It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:55 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Double-Stack LC9s
PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 2:54 pm 
Hawkeye

vito wrote:
Why not just get a Glock 26? Double stack would unavoidably be thicker than the single stack LC9s. If I was willing to carry that think a handgun, I would go with the Glock. Simple, totally reliable, reasonably priced. For myself, I'll stick with the LC9s as my EDC, although sometimes I carry my SR40c just for the change.

The Glock is UGLY, doesn’t sit well in my hand. I have a KelTec P-11 that fits the niche well.
gramps

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:02 am 
Bearcat

mac66 wrote:
The Taurus G2C is essentially a double stack, 12 shot, striker fired pistol the same size as a LC9s. It gets good reviews and is inexpensive (under $200) in many cases.

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?It ... h%20Mayhem

I was thinking the Taurus G2C is closer to a security compact but i can't fine anything yet comparing the two. I have a Lc9 and the taurus and to me anyway they do not carry the same an Lc9 with a little thicker grip I think would be great.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 10:32 am 
Hawkeye

mac66 wrote:
Well the closest thing to a double stack LC9 is a Keltec P11 which is the original design stolen by Ruger...

Interesting that you use the term "stolen by Ruger..." How is it you're sure SR didn't pay royalties with many zeroes to Mr. Kellgren for design and function components? SR did that of course with Smith & Wesson and other manufacturers, and in fact Bill Ruger is known since his days working under Savage Firearms for his ability to re-engineer other existing designs into his own products. Most folks would be surprised at how much "borrow and buy" goes on in the firearms-manufacturing industry and how close large, and small makers really are.

That being said, I'm now not sure this thread is about grip width, or higher capacity, or something else? Grip width can be altered easily, with Hogue or Pachmayr sleeves. I use both and each has fit n feel positives. As I get older, I favor light weight in a carry-everyday gun, and the LC9 guns provide a huge advantage for me in their lesser "printing" factor when wearing everyday off-the-shelf or fitted business/evening clothes. I don't challenge large groups of bad guys often so I have never considered dozens of rounds (and their weight) to be essential in a RL defensive situation nor in a courtroom. I'm just weird that way? :?

PC = Political Submission

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:43 am 
Hawkeye

Ruger Security 9 vs Taurus G2C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fSRqURo8eA

As far as I'm concerned the Taurus G2C is a "BEST BUY" compact gun (more or less)
Being a Ruger guy I may have to have both.

Also for those that haven't picked it up Taurus has replaced the PT111 2Gen Millenium for a Taurus G2c. Taurus didn't make a big deal about it, the G2c just started showing up. Personally I like it.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:26 pm 
Hawkeye

I had two Tauri (Taurus plural?) on was the TCP .380 the other the .40 Slim. I liked the way those guns felt, there price was very good, both had good triggers. Unfortunately the TCP blew up. The slide broke in half at the front of the ejection port. I'd been showing the gun to a friend at my gun club. He made two shots and the gun came apart on the second. Hit him in the jaw cracking a tooth. We contacted Taurus and they paid him for the dental work with some extra for pain and suffering, and offered a replacement TCP or one of several other pistols they manufactured. I chose the .40 slim.
When I got the gun I liked it a lot. Great carry pistol, very thin and shot the .40S&W rounds very comfortably. Unfortunately after around 100 rounds the gun went full automatic. After looking at the mechanism it seemed to me some parts were too weak to stand up to the demand the gun put on them. I decided to junk it and consider it a lesson. I didn't have much money on the TCP to begin with and just took the loss.

I don't know if I just got two guns out of many hundreds sold that failed. I can't complain about how Taurus treated me to compensate for my problem and that of my friend who was injured. I'm sure Taurus would have paid me for the second gun which failed so I can't say anything bad about the company. But I have permanent doubts about the reliability of some of their guns. I don't say all Taurus guns are bad or poorly made just that I had some serious problems with two of them.

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:12 pm 
Hawkeye

You don't say how long ago, that happened, it's my understanding they are under new management. I'm not a big Taurus guy, but they seem to be making a real effort to put out some good products.

I watched a video comparing it to a Glock 26 which is a gun 2-1/2 -3X as expensive as the Taurus. One of the points he made even though he chose the Taurus if he was going to buy just one, that the Taurus (unlike the Glock) will never be a 10,000 round gun. At least it's got a ways to go to be seen as that reliable. On the other hand you can buy 2 or 3 Taurus for the price you will pay for the Glock. But I don't necessarily expect a gun at that price to be a 10,000 round gun, and don't care.

“If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge nor jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim.”
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
George Orwell

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:27 pm 
Hawkeye

I do like some of their designs but was very disappointed with the two of their guns I had. The .40 thin would have been a near perfect carry pistol as would have been the TCP. I fired a Taurus .44 revolver a short barrel with a small rubber covered grip that a member of our club was shooting. He said it was shoot low left. I tried it with some trepidation thinking it was going to be a lot nastier to shoot than my old S&W M.29. I was very surprised with the gun, I even opened the cylinder to make sure it had .44 mags in it instead of .44 specials. Very easy recoiling, easier even than my S&W with it's 6" barrel.
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... RD+44MAG+4

Paul W.
Sad NRA Life Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:06 pm 
Hawkeye

I've had a few Taurus revolvers over the years. Never have had a bad one. I've had a few model 85's over the years, and a few years ago I bought a stainless 85 so my wife would have one in her car. I've had a few of the Taurus 431's as well (44 Special) and they are wonderful guns. Wish I'd have kept one or two. I let the GP100 44 Special take their place, and should have kept them. Still have the GP. Recently bought a Taurus UL in 44 Special. Those are few and far between, I had one in 45 Colt years ago, think I'll keep this one. Haven't picked it up yet, but looking forward to it. I've had a couple of PT111 Gen 2 Milleniums, and they were so handy different friends talked me out of them. Not long ago I thought I was buying another one and it's turned out to be the G2c. When I noticed that I did some research. Seems like a keeper.

George Orwell

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:34 pm 
Blackhawk

s4s4u wrote:
Shutterbug wrote:
Rugeraz wrote:
Ruger just came out with the Security 9 Compact that pretty much fits that bill. Doubt they will make a double stack LC9s as well.

It is quite a bit wider than the LC9s. I have a Security 9 and like it a lot, but I like the narrow LC9s for carry. In my original post I was only wishing for a double-stack LC9s. Grins.

If you double stack the magazine it is going to be wider than a single stack. You can't have both.

The grip on the LC9S has a narrow grip ... if it the frame was redesigned to be a double stack .. It should be still be very concealable