Ruger LCP Serial Numbers

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
My LCP had a problem that locked the slide up. Sent it back to Ruger, where incidentally, it went to a facility I was unaware of in Mayodan, NC.

Ruger kept the gun with no explanation given and sent me a new one. Old S/N was 371854999, the new 372248990.

Does anyone know if there are any design changes between the older and the newer? Thanks, Don

louchia

Single-Sixer
I would call Ruger CS. I would also ask about the original gun as to exactly the problem. Would be nice info to know.

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
I did call Ruger CS, the older gun is not the current series but there are no mechanical differences between the two. Don

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
Went to the range with the new LCP but it wasn't memorable. Shot 80+ rds and had a great deal of failures to chamber and failures of the slide to mate up with the breech. The problems decreased toward the end of the session but disappointing nevertheless. Had some very nice tight groups at CCW range along with some not so memorable ones.

The gun felt far harder to rack the slide than did it's predessor. Gave it a good cleaning post range and hopefully it is on its way to being as reliable as its predecessor.

Also too my Performance Center 500 Mag along. Had purchased a nice little Bushnell TRS-25 red dot which easily mounts on the integral Picatinny rail. The gun is lots of fun to shoot double action with light Trail Boss loads. This was the second time out with the red dot. Tried 10 medium heavy loads and the 500 lived up to its bad reputation for damaging/destroying optics. The red dots objective lens has broken free. Don

EQUILIZER

Bearcat
I think Ruger should send you a new certificate on factory official letter head with the old serial number and the transfer to the new serial number. With an exact reason why the change occurred. Then you can file the paperwork in your files for further use. You never know.

The KelTec P3AT is the prototype for the LCP. When you first get them before shooting they need a fluff and buff. Basically a good cleaning/lubing. Yep, they do need to wear in. That is why it is recommended to fire 200 rounds through a gun to establish reliability. Good luck. My son has had both the KT, and LCP. I have the first Gen LCP. They all did what they were intended to do.
gramps