Pocket pistols at the range

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Today I finally got to the range to shoot a couple of new pistols, a Kimber Micro 9 and an LCPII. I also brought my recently purchased EC9s. WAYNO joined me today for the first time in months it seems. We had a good time and lunch to boot!

First off, was the LCPII. What an upgrade from my old LCP! Everything is better on this pistol. Better trigger, sights, ergonomics and best of all was the accuracy. I fired about 30-40 rounds, primarily ball ammo with a few defense loads sprinkled in. This pistol ran flawlessly. Definitely a keeper for it's intended purpose of deep concealed carry. I am happy!

The Kimber Micro 9 was purchased because it was such a good deal at $499 and I like the miniature 1911 concept. I also brought my EC9s along to compare with the Micro 9. This was a little over $200 and a bargain. A few initial comparisons:

Micro 9
7+1
15.6 oz
6.1" OAL
Hammer fired
<$499

EC9s
7+1
17.2 oz
6.0" OAL
Striker fired
$200+

Pros and cons. Accuracy for these two pistols was comparable. Both functioned flawlessly with about 70 rounds fired, mostly ball ammo with some defense loads also. I like the trigger, sights and ergonomics better on the Micro 9. Recoil was a little more noticeable with the Kimber, but not uncomfortable. The striker fired trigger on the EC9s is uncomfortable at times with a little finger pinching if you don't cover the trigger properly. The price point is hard to beat with the EC9s. As of now, the Ruger will back up the Kimber, because I like the Kimber better. That said I like both for different reasons.

All and all a good range day. No real disappointments. Even shot WAYNO's SR1911 10mm and very accurate 357/9mm Blackhawk. :D

Micro 9

EC9s

LCPII

Dave

Yep, this was a good outing today. The winter just drags on and it creates too easy of an excuse to remain housebound.

This plastic pistol phenomenon continues. I seldom have anything glowing to say about little plastic pistols, other than they reliably launch a bullet in the general direction they are pointed. In spite of my passive aggressive opinion, I carry at least one of them on my person, close to 100% of the time.

I've found the original LCP is a difficult pistol for me to shoot. My wife, however shoots this same gun very well. My hands are large, her hands are tiny. Don't know what hand size would have to do with it, but I do struggle with the LCP. Then today, Heliman let me shoot his new LCPII. I haven't kept up with the changes made to the LCPII, but I was quite impressed how well I shot his new gun. I was shooting at little chips of clay pigeon on the range berm, and either hitting them most of the time, or coming very close. So, old dogs can change, or at least their toys do.

Another observation, I've never been a fan of the LC9. I own a couple but never shoot them. There are other little plastic 9mm semi's that just work better for me. Then last year, Heliman bought an EC9s. Just a cheaper version of the LC9, but when I shot it, I was pleased. Caused me to go buy one for myself. I don't think my S&W Shield has left the safe since, as I do so well with this budget-priced EC9s.

So, I don't know if these plastic guns are changing and/or are getting better, or I'm changing, but either way it's causing me to give them a little more credit. 8)

And my 10mm SR1911? Still gave me fits today. The best shooting 1911 I've ever shot, but after my barrel lug failure last year and subsequent repair(s), it is way too selective on what ammo it will shoot reliably. The downloaded stuff, 180 grain at less than 1200 fps operates well. Step it up to 1250 fps or more, and I have a misfeed or two with every magazine. Yes, I can experiment with springs, but I've just lost my enthusiasm for this gun. I would never carry it, or use it in the woods. And that's too bad, as I had previously proclaimed this 10mm 1911 could take the place of a carbine as a truck gun at times. In the meantime, I can boast of its super accuracy at the range. :?

Finally, when we're shooting 9mm pistols, I often bring a 9mm revolver. My Flattop Convertible remains an absolute pleaser, always. :mrgreen:

Cholo

Staff member
I always enjoy your range reports and the cool guns you wring out!

Kimber really did a nice job on those Micro 9's :)

WAYNO, I believe I'd be a little fed up with that 10mm, too.

Muley Gil

Blackhawk
I bought a EC9 last month. Took it out and shot it and I think it is a fine little CCW. I have been pocket carrying a Colt Agent .38 special since 2007, but it looks like it has been replaced for EDC.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
The EC9s has been a top cc (for a semiauto) gun here. As stdated, as dependable as the Shield but slightly more accurate. With the laser, its great for walks in the high pines. The ounces count
I'm not much on autofeeders however LC9/EC9 always run well. And there's not another with similar qualities for $200 in my travels.
Nice to have the option. 8)