So I Bought a Smith

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Mike J

Hunter
Ruger doesn't offer any of their newer pistols in .40 & I don't like the SR series pistols. I do like 40 even though it has fallen out of popularity somewhat. I wanted a striker fired pistol in the same size range as a G-23,G-19 so I opted for the S&W 2.0 40 compact with a 4" barrel. Roughly the same size as the aforementioned Glocks with 13 rounds magazine capacity. My initial impression is I like it a lot. The grip has a really rough texture & 4 interchangeable grip inserts. I had seen some reviews where people said they didn't like the trigger but it feels pretty good to me for a striker gun. I haven't gotten to shoot it yet but should over the weekend.

StanD

Bearcat
That's funny, I really like the SR series. Bought an SR9c which has been perfect. Also bought an EC9s for a carry gun which I don't like at all so replaced it with a S&W M&P 9 Shield gen.2. The Shield is a great gun and I'm sure your M&P compact 40 will be also.
Stan

rangerbob

Buckeye
I acquired one of the 2.0 4" 9mm compacts when they first appeared, very well pleased with it. The 40 is on it's way out with LE due to all of the reasons listed in the FBI's 2014 recommendation for the 9mm to replace it. The 2.0 4" M&P 9mm was designed to directly compete with the G19 in the marketplace. Bob!! 8)

Mike J

Hunter
So I got to shoot this thing today. I like it a lot. I did get aggravated with myself some. I was trying to shoot for groups & I would have one shot dead center of what I was shooting at the rest either a bit low or to one side. I need to slow down. I guess it might have been better if I hadn't drank a half pot of coffee this morning right before I went to shoot. I ran about 140 or 150 rounds through it. Blazer Brass, Winchester White Box, Monarch FMJ & JHP, & some Remington Golden Sabers. It didn't bobble once. Nice low bore axis so it just sits in your hand without a lot of flip & percieved recoil was low for mel.

I have an M&P 40 (not the Mod 2.0 though) and I like it a lot. Fits my hand and shoots anything I put in it. I now have 2 Glock G22's, a SIG P229, and a S&W M&P in 40 caliber so I probably need to add a SR40 just to round them out. Many people don't like the .40 S&W but I don't have any problems with it.

Mike J

Hunter
Ron I was looking hard at the LEO trade in Sig 229s before I decided to go this way. I would still like to have a 229 but I decided I wanted to go with a striker fired pistol with a consistent trigger pull & a slimmer profile for carry. I was on this board when they released the SR9. I watched it go through it's teething issues. I shot an early SR9 at a rental range, I didn't like it. I was also turned off by all the politically correct safety features. I know the platform has matured & the SR guns are liked & respected by a lot of people now but they aren't for me.

A while back I bought my wife a 9mm Ruger American Pistol. I like it much better than the SR series. They are not offered in the caliber or size range I want though.

mpalm

Single-Sixer
I like 40 Smith&Wesson...seems to make sense that S&W would continue to make pistols in that company named caliber!
My 40's are all Rugers and they stamp their guns 40 CAL. (so to not give S&W any credit. )
I like that 40 is affordable now and I believe it will be around for long time.

Mike J

Hunter
Thanks mpalm. I do have an old .40 caliber P94. It is as reliable as they come. I do with I had gotten the decock only version instead of the safety one now though.

Donnieweps

Single-Sixer
I have two SR9Cs that I really, really like.

I've made the mistake of trying two 9mm semis and one 10mm, hoping to find an additional semi that I liked as much as the 9C. They were the Beretta Brigadier (a beefier M9), a big CZ and most recently a Springfield XD(M) 10mm. All three were reliable but got no love from me.

I reload for several calibers and 10mm commercial ammo is stupid expensive. The Springfiled tossed the brass into the wild yonder. Even holding the gun at my hip carefully aimed at the berm and watching the ejection of the brass didn't solve the issue. Brass recovery rate was about 15%.

Have had a S&W M&P9 2.0 with a 5" barrel for 5 mo. Really like it but if I was forced to choose between the Smith and the Rugers, I'd keep the Rugers.

By the way, the two Rugers have about 1600 rds through them, only one failure, a bad Tula round with a solid primer strike. Don

mpalm

Single-Sixer
If I find a 3rd generation S&W like the 4006/4003/4040/4046 etc. I'd grab it up if the price was right. They are built tough like my Ruger P94. I just hope that 40S&W ammo prices stay low. I fear that they may not, but I'm not giving up my 40's ....I'll just shoot them less!