SR9 mag disconnect removal

Help Support Ruger Forum:

onfinal

Bearcat
I know this subject has been discussed ad nauseam, but has there ever been an actual case where someone was charged or convicted of a bad shoot solely on the basis of having removed their SR9's magazine disconnect?

It may be all in my head, but I'll swear my SR9 operates a little smoother without it. But I do use the gun for home defense so would like to know if it's really that important legally or more of a forum subject.

I am not trying to start yet another "remove it or leave it in" discussion, just trying to learn of any actual cases. I can't find any and wonder if anyone else has.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
onfinal said:
I know this subject has been discussed ad nauseam, but has there ever been an actual case where someone was charged or convicted of a bad shoot solely on the basis of having removed their SR9's magazine disconnect?

It may be all in my head, but I'll swear my SR9 operates a little smoother without it. But I do use the gun for home defense so would like to know if it's really that important legally or more of a forum subject.

I am not trying to start yet another "remove it or leave it in" discussion, just trying to learn of any actual cases. I can't find any and wonder if anyone else has.

Never heard of such a case. I took the thing out of my 9e an hour after I bought it. Still have it in the box in case I ever decide to sell it - which ain't likely. And yes, removal does slightly improve function. As for legalities, I think it's a non-issue, simply because it's not illegal for the owner to remove it, and there are millions of handguns that don't have a mag disconnect to start with. It doesn't really have any purpose, other than to prevent you from firing the round in the chamber (that might save your life ) if the mag isn't fully inserted.

grobin

Blackhawk
I don't know of any thing against it. If you are really worried get a good concield carry class and ask. A good one my be put o with a lawyer o at least have one that they use for questions. Any jurisdiction can pass any silly law they want.