Light Strike on SR40c

Help Support Ruger Forum:

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
I have a SR40c that all of a sudden developed light strike or more accurately NO STRIKE on the primers. The gun is still relatively new with only about 200 rounds fired. I am pretty careful not to dry fire. Any idea out there what is going on? I guess I won't sell my Glock 27, as it is very dependable.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
It is at Ruger factory, you may be right. Not fired very much, perhaps debris from manufacture was in the channel and shifted.. it worked perfectly for about 300 rounds and then all of sudden just stopped hitting the primer. Also, was never dry fired.

louchia

Single-Sixer
TRJeff said:
Time to clean firing pin and channel, use no lube to reassemble.
I agree. If you are not comfortable taking things apart, try flushing out the firing pin channel with Gun Scrubber of similar product. These products leave no oily residue to collect dirt.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Thanks for you response and thoughts!

I just received my SR 40 C by FedEx this morning. Ruger factory in Prescott Arizona replaced Extractor, magazine disconnect, slide stop assembly, Stryker assembly, stryker blocker, trigger assembly, trigger bar lift spring, trigger bar reset, ejector and fire control housing,

After repair , Pistol was function fire with 27 rounds of Black Hills 115 grain full metal jacket and 18 rounds of Lawman 165 grain without malfunction.

This weapon was made in first year of production in 2011 and perhaps they thought it best to update with newer design parts.

I am not comfortable with dirty striker channel theory since it went from strong primer dents to not even a mark on the primers.

Ruger didn't even charge for shipping

exavid

Hunter
I've had my Ruger SR40c since 1911 and put a lot of trouble free rounds through it. To date it's been perfectly reliable with both commercial ammo and my handloads in various configurations. I had some reservations about buying a compact .40 but it's one of the most comfortable .40 handguns I've fired so far.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Exavid:
The design and dual recoil spring really sucks up recoil of the 40SW. THE SR40c is a real easy to shoot with good sights, good grip and excellent trigger.

I was surprised when Ruger just gutted the pistol and refitted with new internals. Rather than have a gunsmith sort out the problem, they use a parts assembly technician to just put in new parts. Since is was early production it may be that Ruger just decided to upgrade while they had the pistol in their possession.

They never charged anything for repair or shipping both ways.

MountainWalker

Single-Sixer
Paul,
Thanks for posting that bit of information, especially the versatility with reloaded ammunition. Time for me to give Ruger pistol another try. If I try to sell it buyers would likely only give $250 for it. Even with nice holsters and spare mags!

I really like the thumb safety, it's design appears to be taken from the CZ82. The Ruger folks are brilliant when comes to incorporating successful designs into their guns. Thumb safety on striker weapon is good and same manual of arms used on 1911 works perfectly.

I've had my sr40c for a number of years and found that it was becoming a safe queen and almost never fired. I guess I was losing interest in the 40S&W round. But a recent trip to the range reminded me of how much I like this gun. Now I often choose to carry it in an OWB holster and the non-extended magazine. The 10 round capacity is enough for me to feel comfortable and it just feels like a substantial and solid firearm.