R.A.P. .45acp compact

Help Support Ruger Forum:

frontstuffers

Single-Sixer
I figured what better place to ask. :) I am wondering if anyone has one of these? If so, am looking for an appraisal of likes, dislikes, pro's, con's, the normal feedback type of thing. Have been considering one, but can't find one locally. Have only handled one full size. I can order it from just about anyone, but want to handle one first to see if I even like it. I have the compact 9mm and enjoy it very much.

Any responses are greatly appreciated.

Bill

walnut777

Bearcat
I have one. I had the full size first. I don't mind carrying a full size. Weight isn't an issue for me. I still carry my first Ruger sometimes. (Ruger P89DC).
I think it's an excellent gun. It has all the same great qualities as the fulls size just shorter barrel and shorter magwell if you use the smaller mag.

The triggers are great. The design in my opinion of great. All metal front and rear slide rails. 3 grip options.
I actually have 2 Ruger American 9 full size.

If you are going to get a 9mm version. There is a recall on the 9mm full size and compact. Dont let it frighten you. You can avoid the recall or get it retrofitted for free down the road. I'll explain briefly.

If you buy a new or used one serial number starting with 860 or 862 are the only ones affected. If you see an 860 or 862 serial number prefix. Then look at the barrel. If the barrel is black. Then it has been retrofitted and the problem solved. It the barrel is silver. It has not been retrofitted.

What happens to the gun from what I have read is the slide with crack usually after about 10,000 rounds. BUT Ruger will fix it!

I bought a brand new Compact 9 and it has the 860 prefix but black barrel and I confirmed with Ruger it has been retrofitted.

So dont let that scare you away from getting one. Like I said you can avoid it buy staying away from 860 and 862 serial prefixes with silver barrels.
If you are buying the 45 then you're fine. Theres no recall for them.

I have 2 fulls size with the silver barrels and one has about 100 rounds through it and one has a few thousand. Neither have any signs of premature wear on the slide.

Heres a link to the whole story.
https://www.guns.com/news/2018/11/06/ruger-spending-1-million-to-retrofit-american-pistol-designs

walnut777

Bearcat
Darn it Bill! I just realized the title said .45!
Ignore what I said about the slide cracks. I was browsing the forum and kids running all through the house I didnt even catch that part.