Security 9....Opinions Wanted

Help Support Ruger Forum:

farley

Single-Sixer
I've been considering a Security 9. Anyone who has one, what do you think of it? Any problems? How many rounds have you put through it and has it been reliable?

Danno

Bearcat
Hi Farley....just my opinion, but I think it's a fine pistol. Mine has been 100% with everything I've put through it...from 115 grain, 124 grain, mostly FMJ but I've run about 30 HPs as well. Not a single hiccup. Probably been thru 600 rounds or so.

Accuracy is fine, for me, out to 10 yards. It's not a match pistol but it's accurate enough.

Ergonomics are wonderful for my hand. Trigger is very good. It's not a striker but hammer fired with the LCP II (?) system. The say, DAO but it's more like a SA pull. Very clean break, short and tactile reset. Actually feels like a striker to me.

I had an SR9c years ago. Very fine pistol. But I never warmed to it. Kinda unbalanced with the short 10 round mag; kinda unbalanced the other way with the 17 rounder.

The Security 9 is, to me, a fine compromise for size and balance. If you like the feel in your hand of a Glock 19, you'll probably like the Security 9.

And the price is right. Good luck to you.

farley

Single-Sixer
I handled a Security9 today and was struck by how much play there was between the slide and frame. I think I could have shook and rattled it. Seemed kind of sloppy. They only had one of them, so I couldn't compare it to another pistol. Don't know if this is common or if it was just this particular gun.

I have one. Shoots fine, trigger is different. I guess not what I expected but not in a bad way, just different. My Father and I have shot it a bunch and we easily hit our targets. Fun gun to shoot.

dogtag69

Bearcat
I bought one in March I don't know how many rounds I have run through it but I know its a bunch With the two 15 rds. mags and a 17 rd. sr9 mag I modified to work in it you go through 100 rds quick, never had a failure I carry it daily because I shoot it good and I trust it

love2fish

Bearcat
I've put about 400 rounds through mine so far, w/o a hiccup. Feels good in the hand, too.

Chuck

I have read many reviews on the Security 9, and most are very positive. I just ordered a pair of them to take to Front Sight Academy. I narrowed it down to this or a Smith M 2.0 compact. After handling both, the Ruger just fit my hand much better. I have an SR9c as well, but the Security 9 fits me better.

FergusonTO35 said:
Local shop has sold a few of them and had no complaints. I think you get more for your money with the S&W SD series.

I haven't played with a Security 9 but I'm interested in them. I've got a couple of M&P's and I think they are as good as anything out there. But my hand appreciates the S&W SD series as well. It's my EDC gun, with very few exceptions. They are extremely reliable.

JSwenson

Bearcat
I have been shooting for well over 50 years. I have put over 3,000 rounds thru a Sec9, and only had two malfunctions. Both malfunctions were failures of the slide to cycle far enough for the spent cartridge to be ejected; both malfunctions were with steel case ammo, which Ruger does not recommend in the Sec9. The Sec9 is the most reliable semi auto I have ever shot. Even better than my Glock 19. I ran several hundred rounds of steel case trying to get a malfunction, and only succeeded twice. NO malfunctions with brass or aluminum. I have taken rounds that failed to fire in the Glock and a Ruger American Pistol, and fired them in the Sec9. The Sec9 really whacks the primer.

lashlaruhe

Bearcat
I have a Security 9 and am happy with it. I have fired 535 rounds to break it in and only problems were WW Steel cased bulk 9mm ammo. There were many failure to extract them about 1 failure in each magazine full. Never has failed in any way with Brass Ammo.
I put Night Sights on it and its my car and trip companion. Cheap and works, so not tremendous loss if stolen, etc.

I have mine now and have put 100 rounds each through the pair. No hiccups, and as accurate as I am. Very simple takedown with these. I use a Leggo Tool to remove the takedown pin. Works great and no marring. I have fired 115, 124, & 147 grain loads including Blazer ammo. The 147 seems to be the most accurate, but not by much. So far I am very impressed.

P.S. I have carried this the last 2 weeks in a Muddy River Tactical OWB holster with the concealment loops. Conceals very well and is very comfortable.

Mr25-06

Single-Sixer
Bear Paw Jack said:
FergusonTO35 said:
Local shop has sold a few of them and had no complaints. I think you get more for your money with the S&W SD series.

I haven't played with a Security 9 but I'm interested in them. I've got a couple of M&P's and I think they are as good as anything out there. But my hand appreciates the S&W SD series as well. It's my EDC gun, with very few exceptions. They are extremely reliable.

It's not often on this forum, or the other gun forum I frequent, that you hear good stuff from the S&W SD series of pistols. I'm glad to hear more positive experiences. I have personally owned, shot, or helped 10 of these pistols find owners, all through my personal experience with the 1st SD9VE I bought. All of them have ran flawlessly and had happy owners. Nine of those pistols were SD9's and one an SD40. They shoot accurate, run any junk ammo you feed them, feel good in the hands, and are actually fairly accessible. They take the same sights as the M&P line which is awesome.

As for the aforementioned Security 9, I almost purchased one twice now. I have read good things about them as well. The only thing that has held me back was the wife already has an SD9 and I have a P95, that have both serviced us well.

Jon

Hickeroar

Bearcat
For me the clinchers for buying the Sec-9 came down to the Ergonomics and the Trigger. I used to be a Glock fan, but over the years, and after trying many other pistols, I realized that I hate the Glock ergonomics in comparison to what else is out there (grip fatness, grip angle, and overall feel).

I absolutely LOVE Ruger ergonomics. I currently own an LC9s and the Sec-9 I just bought, and the grip shapes fit my hands extremely well.

The triggers on both of them are probably my favorite triggers I've ever felt in any pistol... They're both different from one another, but the feel is somewhere in the same neighborhood. Super crisp, and you always know exactly when/where it's going to "click." The LCP2's trigger is also stellar, though I don't own one.

The Sec-9 fit/finish is probably 95% of the way to a glock, and it's $200 cheaper. It's far more durable than I'll ever need it to be.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Hickeroar said:
The Sec-9 fit/finish is probably 95% of the way to a glock, and it's $200 cheaper. It's far more durable than I'll ever need it to be.

And its made in the USA, with paychecks cashed by American workers. :wink:

capecuddy

Bearcat
Love my Security 9. It is like an LCP II on 9mm steroids. I've got the .22lr LCP II, the .380 LCP II and the Security 9. They seem like a matched family though the Security 9 is a more rugged/beefy gun than the LCP II's.

BPJ,
Thanks for the video link.

I keep one of my Security 9's in my bedroom with a laser/light combo on it. The other is my EDC gun. I swap em out every couple of months. I have over 2000 rounds thru them both now with zero problems. I have taken first time shooters from work to a local indoor range. There have been 9 females and 5 males. I usually take a few revolvers and a few semi autos. Only one didn't like the Sec 9, due to recoil. She loves my LCRx 22. All, including her shot the Sec 9 very well.

capecuddy

Bearcat
The triad of LCP II in .22lr, LCP II in 380 acp and the Security 9 in 9mm gives you a "layered defense" in 3 calibers that allow you to use or train up as you will. I love all three. I've got the very different SR1911 to cover .45acp.