New LC380 for the wife, but...

Help Support Ruger Forum:

Out West

Bearcat
I bought it for a good price thinking that the wife would appreciate the light weight and recoil. But after shooting it, I have put it into my carry rotation!

The pistol is slimmer than my Sig P365 and matches it almost exactly to length and width. It lighter than the Sig. All that to say it's easily carried IWB.

I'm giving up some power with 380, and compared to the Sig, I'm giving up capacity too. But I'll take that for the comfort factor. The little pistol carries great in a Vedder Light Tuck holster.

The trigger is long, but very smooth. Very little stacking - if any. Excellent for a true double action pistol. (I've owned a couple of Walther PPKs and the LC380 trigger is better by a mile).

I don't see much posted about the LC380. Anyone else got one?

DGW1949

Hunter
blume357 said:
Took me about 5 guns to learn that the person to pick out a gun for your wife is your wife....

True that.
After all, they ain't us. :wink: .

DGW

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I have the lc380 and enjoy it very much. My stepson has a 1911 but said it's to heavy to EDC so I loaned him the lc380 for a year or so to get it back we bought him a LCP for Christmas. I do plan to carry the lc when around the house and doing yard work and such. A few years ago I took it to a friends cook out and let a bunch of girls try it both young and old, most all of them fell in love with it and could shoot it better than many other guns. I do believe your wife did not dislike it but you liked it enough to put it in your rotation, if I understood you correctly.

mac66

Single-Sixer
Except why would you carry a 380 when you can get the same gun (LC9, LC9s or EC9s) in 9mm? I understand the less recoil which is important for women. I looked at the LC380 for my wife as well but I'd rather have it in 9mm.

Big Old Boy

Hunter
I have many others but prefer the 380 for around the house. I purchased the lc380 to teach children and grandchildren to shoot and it serves my purpose.

gc70

Bearcat
mac66 said:
Except why would you carry a 380 when you can get the same gun (LC9, LC9s or EC9s) in 9mm? I understand the less recoil which is important for women. I looked at the LC380 for my wife as well but I'd rather have it in 9mm.
My wife bought the LC380 after hand surgery impaired her ability to rack slides requiring more force than the LC380. One of my neighbors is a burly former police officer and retired federal agent who bought the LC9s only to have something smaller when he couldn't carry a .40S&W.

I invited my neighbor for a range trip one day when my wife couldn't go. I carried my wife's LC380 to fire a few rounds to rotate her carry ammo and my neighbor had his LC9s. After making fun of my wife's LC380, my neighbor insisted I try his LC9s; in turn, I insisted he try the LC380.

Both of us shot the .380 fairly substantially faster and more accurately than the 9mm. I was a little surprised by the amount of difference between shooting the two guns, but after all of his talk, my neighbor was flabbergasted by the difference between shooting the guns.

mohavesam

Hawkeye
With the form-fitting Lasermax red laser the LC380 wins with lighter bullets and less recoil, plus the MUCH easier to rack slide - Real Life win.

Practice gains confidence, and I'd wager the 380 will get more range time that the 9mm brother.
All factors considered, the LC380 wins over my LC9 and EC9s (which both are great pistols but both have very hard-to-rack slides, even with strong/dry hands).
Cast a Buckmark-type set of "ears" on the EC9s slide and I'll reconsider.

These are all belly guns, not target guns. Practice up close!

DGW1949

Hunter
Big Old Boy said:
I have many others but prefer the 380 for around the house. I purchased the lc380 to teach children and grandchildren to shoot and it serves my purpose.

I've got a Grand Daughter who learned to use both a Browning Hi Power AND a full-sized 1911 by the time she was 12 years old. Point there being that contrary to what we've all read and/or heard, one doesn't really need to use under powered calibers for teaching.
Myself, I believe such a practice can actually be counter productive if it leaves the student with the impression that they are well armed with those types of weapons...because the fact is, the gun they are learning to use is marginal at best.

Just my .02

DGW

mohavesam

Hawkeye
Interesting drift. I guess I didn't exactly answer the OP question: yes, I have one.
So far, no one has volunteered to stand in front of it.
With modern CAD-CAM bullets, I have no reservations of being "under gunned", whatever that means IRL.

Latest posts